* Configuring with GMP in /usr/local
@ 2003-04-26 11:07 Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2003-04-26 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have GMP 3.1 in /usr and GMP 4.1 in /usr/local.  How do I invoke
./configure so that it picks up GMP 4.1?

Thanks,
        Neil

* Re: Configuring with GMP in /usr/local
       [not found] <CMM.0.92.0.1051365630.beebe@suncore.math.utah.edu>
@ 2003-04-26 14:11 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2003-04-26 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development

    >>> I have GMP 3.1 in /usr and GMP 4.1 in /usr/local.  How do I invoke
    >>> ./configure so that it picks up GMP 4.1?

    Nelson> env PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH ./configure ....

    Nelson> I always put /usr/local/bin ahead of vendor directories
    Nelson> in my path, because it continues newer versions of software;
    Nelson> then I don't need the above workaround.

Thanks for the response, but I already have /usr/local/bin first in my
PATH, and it doesn't help.  The problem is somehow getting ./configure
to tell gcc to look in /usr/local/{lib,include} before
/usr/{lib,include}.

@ 2003-04-26 15:24   ` Thamer Al-Harbash
From: Thamer Al-Harbash @ 2003-04-26 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nelson H. F. Beebe

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Neil Jerram wrote:

> Thanks for the response, but I already have /usr/local/bin first in my
> PATH, and it doesn't help.  The problem is somehow getting ./configure
> to tell gcc to look in /usr/local/{lib,include} before
> /usr/{lib,include}.

LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" Unfortunately /usr/lib may supersede
this and configure will use it first. My advice is to do what I
did. Remove the development library (.a) from /usr/lib and leave
the shared one there for GMP 3.1 (.so) Then install GMP 4.1 in
/usr/local/lib

Your old applications should still use the old runtime libraries
and be fine.

(Remember to ldconfig if you're on Linux.)

--
Thamer Al-Harbash            http://www.whitefang.com/
	(if (> pressure too-much-pressure)

* Re: Configuring with GMP in /usr/local
       [not found] <CMM.0.92.0.1051370387.beebe@suncore.math.utah.edu>
@ 2003-04-26 15:38 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2003-04-26 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development

    >>> The problem is somehow getting ./configure
    >>> to tell gcc to look in /usr/local/{lib,include} before
    >>> /usr/{lib,include}.

    Nelson> Ahh... this is straightforward:

    Nelson> 	env \
    Nelson> 		CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
    Nelson> 		LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib" \
    Nelson> 		./configure && make all check install

    Nelson> For code that uses C++, you'll need to add

    Nelson> 		CXXFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \

    Nelson> I've found rare packages that also need

    Nelson> 		CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \

    Nelson> Sometimes, packages don't use LDFLAGS properly, so the above recipe
    Nelson> fails.  At that point, I fix the Makefile.in, and report the problem
    Nelson> to the authors.

Thank you!  I have a working CVS Guile now.

        Neil