* Manual reorganized
@ 2004-04-21 14:51 Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-04-21 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have reorganized the Guile Reference Manual to a large degree,
because I felt I had to. :)

I hope the structure is now simpler and that feels more complete now
(although not much new stuff has been added.)

I will continue to work on it in the next days, looking for typos,
maybe writing new stuff, etc, maybe reorganizing the texi source files
as wells.  So if you have any uncomitted changes to the manual, please
merge them now.

* Re: Manual reorganized
@ 2004-05-16 21:56 ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2004-05-16 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Did the docs for scm_truncate and scm_round (ie. the C "double" funcs)
get lost in this?

* Re: Manual reorganized
@ 2004-06-10 17:06   ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-06-10 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au> writes:

> Did the docs for scm_truncate and scm_round (ie. the C "double" funcs)
> get lost in this?

I don't think so, although they are not there any longer.  What do you
propose, should we document them.  What is their use?

* Re: Manual reorganized
@ 2004-06-11  1:34     ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2004-06-11  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.de> writes:

> What do you
> propose, should we document them.

They're in the 1.6 manual, and I think I added some words to them.

> What is their use?

C "double" funcs corresponding to scheme level round and truncate.

(There's a comment in the code about them being badly named, but it'd
be incompatible to change that now.)

* Re: Manual reorganized
@ 2004-08-09 23:08       ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-08-09 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au> writes:

> Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.de> writes:
>>
>> What do you
>> propose, should we document them.
>
> They're in the 1.6 manual, and I think I added some words to them.
>
>> What is their use?
>
> C "double" funcs corresponding to scheme level round and truncate.
>
> (There's a comment in the code about them being badly named, but it'd
> be incompatible to change that now.)

So what about deprecating them and providing scm_c_round and
scm_c_truncate so that we can eventually use the names scm_round and
scm_truncate for the C version of the Scheme procedures round and
truncate?  I think that would be the Right Thing.

I will do this.

* Re: Manual reorganized
@ 2004-08-09 23:57         ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2004-08-09 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.de> writes:

> So what about deprecating them and providing scm_c_round and
> scm_c_truncate so that we can eventually use the names scm_round and
> scm_truncate for the C version of the Scheme procedures round and
> truncate?  I think that would be the Right Thing.

I would leave them as they are.  The names are unfortunate, but not
actively harmful.  Transitions, no matter how long they're spread
over, are always painful and I'd think not worth it in this case.

* Re: Manual reorganized
@ 2004-08-10 10:36           ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-08-10 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au> writes:

> Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.de> writes:
>>
>> So what about deprecating them and providing scm_c_round and
>> scm_c_truncate so that we can eventually use the names scm_round and
>> scm_truncate for the C version of the Scheme procedures round and
>> truncate?  I think that would be the Right Thing.
>
> I would leave them as they are.  The names are unfortunate, but not
> actively harmful.  Transitions, no matter how long they're spread
> over, are always painful and I'd think not worth it in this case.

Yeah, right, I can be a bit deprecation-happy at times... but I still
think we should remove this wart: one can even argue that the names
are somewhat harmful since users might expect the C version of Scheme
'round' to be called 'scm_round'.  This works for nearly any other
function (and should ideally work for every function that has a C
version), but doesn't for 'round'.