* Guile extensions
@ 2010-03-28 19:56 0wl
From: 0wl @ 2010-03-28 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

I was wondering if there's a place in guile for developing a graphical
toolkit for example like gnome's guile extensions.
Or for webserver scripting except CGI. The graphical toolkit has been done
for GNU smalltalk. In this way one could provide a
morphs environment for scheme and/or guile.

Best regards,
tullaris

* Re: Guile extensions
@ 2010-03-28 20:39 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2010-03-28 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 0wl; +Cc: guile-devel

0wl <tullarisc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there's a place in guile for developing a graphical toolkit
> for example like gnome's guile extensions.
> Or for webserver scripting except CGI. The graphical toolkit has been done for
> GNU smalltalk. In this way one could provide a
> morphs environment for scheme and/or guile.

It's not clear to me what you mean; can you explain more?

(I'm also not familiar with what you mean by "morphs".  I tried googling
this, but the results didn't clearly indicate a single software idea.)

Regards,
     Neil

* Re: Guile extensions
@ 2010-03-29  9:53   ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-03-29  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Jerram; +Cc: guile-devel

Hey folks,

On Sun 28 Mar 2010 22:39, Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> 0wl <tullarisc@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I was wondering if there's a place in guile for developing a graphical toolkit
>> for example like gnome's guile extensions.
>> Or for webserver scripting except CGI. The graphical toolkit has been done for
>> GNU smalltalk. In this way one could provide a
>> morphs environment for scheme and/or guile.
>
> It's not clear to me what you mean; can you explain more?

Perhaps 0wl means a GUI toolkit that is mostly written in Scheme,
instead of mostly a wrapper to libraries written in some other language.
That would allow the toolkit to be more Schemey. It could have a
"presentation layer" that renders to HTML/Js/websockets, to make an app
available over the web.

Is that it? There's certainly a place for that kind of experimentation
within the broader Guile project; probably not in the Guile repo itself,
but who knows?

> (I'm also not familiar with what you mean by "morphs".  I tried googling
> this, but the results didn't clearly indicate a single software idea.)

http://selflanguage.org/_static/tutorial/Tutorial/Morphic/Morphs/Morphs.html

"Widgets", in Self.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: Guile extensions
@ 2010-04-08 20:46     ` 0wl
From: 0wl @ 2010-04-08 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: shivers, guile-devel

Hey,

In the name of the scheme underground crew
http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/su/su.html, I adapted the HTTP Monkey
webserver (see freshmeat.net) with a (port 2003) metaserver.

You can send in full guile, scheme48, scheme interpreter executables with a
loadfile (1 file full of server side code, See src/schemeclient.c and
src/epoll.c (mk_epoll_add_meta_client
function).

I uploaded a tarball here of the full server:
http://tullarisc.xtreemhost.com/monkey-0.10.0-mac.tgz

Love, tullarisc

2010/3/29 Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com>

> Hey folks,
>
> On Sun 28 Mar 2010 22:39, Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:
>
> > 0wl <tullarisc@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> I was wondering if there's a place in guile for developing a graphical
> toolkit
> >> for example like gnome's guile extensions.
> >> Or for webserver scripting except CGI. The graphical toolkit has been
> done for
> >> GNU smalltalk. In this way one could provide a
> >> morphs environment for scheme and/or guile.
> >
> > It's not clear to me what you mean; can you explain more?
>
> Perhaps 0wl means a GUI toolkit that is mostly written in Scheme,
> instead of mostly a wrapper to libraries written in some other language.
> That would allow the toolkit to be more Schemey. It could have a
> "presentation layer" that renders to HTML/Js/websockets, to make an app
> available over the web.
>
> Is that it? There's certainly a place for that kind of experimentation
> within the broader Guile project; probably not in the Guile repo itself,
> but who knows?
>
> > (I'm also not familiar with what you mean by "morphs".  I tried googling
> > this, but the results didn't clearly indicate a single software idea.)
>

> http://selflanguage.org/_static/tutorial/Tutorial/Morphic/Morphs/Morphs.html
>
> "Widgets", in Self.
>
> Andy
> --
> http://wingolog.org/

* Re: Guile extensions
@ 2010-04-08 22:07       ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-04-08 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 0wl; +Cc: shivers, guile-devel

Verily shall you walk in the light of the lambda until the end of your
days.

--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: Guile extensions