From: Manolis Ragkousis <manolis837-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: Guix Devel <guix-devel-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org>,
	guile-devel-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org,
	Racket Users
	<racket-users-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>,
	clojure-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org,
	chicken-hackers-qX2TKyscuCcdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org
Cc: Pjotr Prins <pjotr2020-Got9oF9lkvnz+pZb47iToQ@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Declarative and Minimalistic Computing devroom CfP
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 22:14:31 +0200	[thread overview]

We are excited to announce a devroom on Declarative and Minimalistic
Computing at FOSDEM on Sunday February 7th 2021, online!

FOSDEM is one of the most important free software conferences and is
hosted annually at Université libre de Bruxelles in Brussels,
Belgium. Unfortunately this year FOSDEM will not run a physical
conference but will be online only. Talks will be pre-recorded with
some live content including Q&A sessions and discussion panels.

We accept talks from languages that attempt to minimize use of hardware
and software while try to make systems simpler, more robust and more
secure. If you are working on improving today's systems taking
declarative/minimalistic approaches feel free to submit a talk
proposal. Examples are Scheme/Lisp family of programmings languages.

Minimalism and declarative programming are two important topic for
this devroom. Minimalism matters. Minimalism allows for smaller
systems that take less resources and consume less energy. More
importantly, free and open source minimalism allows for secure systems
that are easy to understand. Declarative programming is a programming
paradigm that expresses the logic of a computation without describing
its control flow. Many languages that apply this style attempt to
minimize or eliminate side effects by describing what the program must
accomplish in terms of the problem domain, rather than describe how to
accomplish it as a sequence of the programming language primitives.

Finally, in this year's virtual conference we will honour the late
Professor Edsger Dijkstra as a pioneer who laid foundations for many
of these ideas.

We have a room Sunday 6 February 2021. We want to invite you to submit
a talk on declarative and minimalistic computing that fits that
description. We are especially happy to receive talk submissions from
members of groups underrepresented in free software.

If you have something you’d like to share with your fellow developers,
please E-mail us! Talks considered for the devroom will have to
be entered in

  - https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM21

The deadline for submission is December 15th. If you have a FOSDEM
pentabarf account from a previous year, please use that
account. Otherwise add one on
https://penta.fosdem.org/user/new_account. Reach out to
pjotr.public456-Got9oF9lkvnz+pZb47iToQ@public.gmane.org or manolis837-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org if you run into any
trouble.

When submitting your talk make doubly sure to select "Declarative and
Minimalistic Computing devroom" as track (if you don't we won't find
it), and include the following information:

  * The title and subtitle of your talk
  * A short abstract of one paragraph
  * A longer description if you wish to do so
  * Links to related websites/blogs etc
  * Presentations has to be pre-recorded and streamed before the event.
  * Start recording early!

To see what a final talk looks like see

  https://archive.fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/gnumes/

For accepted talks

  * Once your talk was accepted, we will assign you an organiser to help
you to produce the pre-recorded content.
  * The organiser will review the content and ensure it has the required
quality. He is also responsable to ensure the content is into the system
and ready to broadcast.
  * During the stream of your talk, you must be available online for the
Q/A session

Let's make this a fun day!

= Organisers =

Manolis Ragkousis, Ludovic Courtès, Jan Nieuwenhuizen, Pjotr Prins
(pjotr.public456-Got9oF9lkvnz+pZb47iToQ@public.gmane.org), William Byrd, Ricardo Wurmus, Alex
Sassmannshausen, Amirouche Boubekki, Efraim Flashner, Bonface M. K.

= Code of conduct =

  - https://fosdem.org/2021/practical/conduct/

= Original proposal =

  - https://libreplanet.org/wiki/FOSDEM2021-devroom-proposal

= Important dates: =

  - Dec 15th 2020:  submission deadline for talk proposals
  - Dec 15th 2020:  submission deadline for recordings
  - Dec 31th 2020:  announcement of the final schedule
  - Feb  6th 2021:  FOSDEM!

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/FOSDEM2021-devroom-declarative-and-minimalistic-computing