On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 04:18:58PM +0100, Maxime Devos wrote: [...] > (While it is recommended for Scheme code to keep a reference to the port to > manually close afterwards, to free resources faster than waiting for GC, it > is not actually required.) Oh, oh. I've got a little anecdote to share here. The context was a Java application, running on Sun medium-sized iron. It was slow & clumsy and the customer decided to double the machine's RAM (these were times where 200 MB were quite a thing). The application crashed a couple of times a day. Some log file poking later it became clear: at the other side there was an Oracle database and the app was exhausting the (limited) max number of connections allowed for the license they had. More RAM -> less GC and the app was relying on the object destructors to dispose of the unneeded database connections. There I learnt one shouldn't ever use memory as proxy for other resources :-) (The end of the story was that we could convince the user to have an application under a free license and a free database :) Cheers -- t