On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 01:29:05AM +0200, Csepp wrote: > I have this short snippet of code for a Guix related utility script and > for the love of the Glowcloud it does not want to work. I want to > filter stderr for certain lines and they are not being redirected. When > running the full script from a shell, it correctly captures standard > out, but all the warnings and errors from the subprocess and/or its > children go directly to the terminal. > > I looked in the Guix sources to see how others do it and found mention > of a possibly related bug: > https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52835 > Is that still relevant? Because debuggs is just, khm, great, I don't > see any clear indication of what its status is. > > (define (with-input-from-make thunk) > (with-error-to-port > (current-output-port) > (lambda _ > (with-input-from-port > (open-pipe* OPEN_READ "make") > thunk)))) I think `with-error-to-port' just directs the error messages of the current process. Not the ones of the subprocess you are invoking with open-pipe*. Could that be the case? To get a better idea of what's going on, you can let a subshell handle that redirection for you, substitute `open-pipe*' with the star-less variable and try: (open-pipe OPEN_READ "make 2>&1") If that works as you expect, you can work your way from there. If not, we've learnt something :) Cheers -- t