* doc snarfing
@ 2003-10-31 16:43 Peter S. Christopher
From: Peter S. Christopher @ 2003-10-31 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi listers,

	I'm wondering if somebody could please give me some suggestions on
how to snarf out the documentation for some of my own code. I'd really
like to include documentation with the code and strip it out of the code
using the same method that is used for the libguile code. Thanks for the
help.

Pete

* Re: doc snarfing
       [not found] <3FA2969B.85C516A8@veritas.com>
@ 2003-10-31 19:09 ` Peter S. Christopher
From: Peter S. Christopher @ 2003-10-31 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bruce,

	Thanks for the feedback. I have two questions for you:

a) I couldn't find any google hits for JavaDoc and C/C++; does JavaDoc
work with C-syntax?

b) Given that snarfing is ugly-ish, how does the libguile team strip
the documentation out of the source code? Particularly, how does one fetch
the SCM_SNARF_DOCS data from source file?

Thanks again,
Pete

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Bruce Korb wrote:

> "Peter S. Christopher" wrote:
> >
> > Hi listers,
> >
> >         I'm wondering if somebody could please give me some suggestions on
> > how to snarf out the documentation for some of my own code. I'd really
> > like to include documentation with the code and strip it out of the code
> > using the same method that is used for the libguile code. Thanks for the
> > help.
>
> Don't.  It is really kludgy.  Use Java doc, there are a lot of tools
> that support it.  Snarfing is ugly and used because it is also used
> to extract code.  If that is what you want (both code and doc extraction),
> then try my tool.  You can pull the strings, massage them and insert
> them whereever and however you want to string them together:
>
>   http://autogen.sourceforge.net/doc/autogen_8.html#SEC269
>
> Good luck.

* Re: doc snarfing
@ 2003-10-31 23:53   ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2003-10-31 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Bruce Korb, guile-devel

"Peter S. Christopher" <peterc@midway.uchicago.edu> writes:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> 	Thanks for the feedback. I have two questions for you:
>
> a) I couldn't find any google hits for JavaDoc and C/C++; does JavaDoc
> work with C-syntax?
>
> b) Given that snarfing is ugly-ish, how does the libguile team strip
> the documentation out of the source code? Particularly, how does one fetch
> the SCM_SNARF_DOCS data from source file?

You could also use schmooz which is part of the latest editions of SLIB.

http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SLIB.html

Nic Ferrier