* Re: Items blocking release 1.6.1 (2002-04-21)
@ 2002-04-22 20:05 Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-04-22 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rlb, guile-devel, guile-user

   From: Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de>
   Date: 22 Apr 2002 20:44:36 +0200

   [ice-9/optargs.scm bound? removal]

   Ok, I'll looker closer into this, and I now have to say that we can't
   'fix' it.  We would be changing the default default value from '#f'
   to something else.  That would be an unacceptable interface change.

but removing `bound?' is acceptable?

   Since it is easy for the user to provide the functionality on its
   own, we can just leave it as it is.

to provide out of band info, you can use out of band methods (in fact,
this is the fix i thought you were going to consider).

cc'ing guile-user to see who complains (besides me).  maybe someone can
send a patch to do a clean fix, and explain it.  maybe it's time to fork
guile (again).

thi

* Items blocking release 1.6.1 (2002-04-21)
@ 2002-04-21 16:22 Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-04-21 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since I've had no negative feeback regarding my release management
posts, I'm planning to add those to our policy documentation and
proceed accordingly.

If you haven't read those messages yet, please do, but the summary is
that the stable TODO section and the bugs tagged release critical
represent the *complete* set of items holding up the release, and you
should not change this set after the stable release has branched
without discussing it with the release manager first (i.e. me).

Whenever we're near a stable release, I'll be posting this "blocking
list" on a regular basis as a reminder.  NOTE: if you're working on
something that's listed below, please contact me.  If your bit is not
in the TODO or bugs and marked appropriately, I may release without
it.

Items currently listed as holding up the 1.6 release are listed below.
More information needed from: [mvo], [ttn].

(The bugs listed as belonging to me I can fix in a day, so please
don't wait on me.)

(1) bugs/optargs-bound-gone [mvo?]

  Marius: you discussed a fix for this in email, but also mention that
  it's functionality is fairly easily worked around via default value
  -- so are we fixing it for 1.6, or are we adding a NEWS entry
  recommending the alternative approach?  If we are fixing it, and if
  you can describe the fix, I can do the work.

(2) bugs/intructions-to-distributors [rlb]

  I'll handle this one -- I'll either have full fledged instructions
  by the release, or I'll include some information and a request for
  packagers to contact guile-devel before packaging.  This will depend
  on how far I get before all the other release critical bugs are
  finished.

(3) tasks/TODO - document libtool conventions [rlb]

  Needs to be done -- will do.

(4) tasks/TODO - convert bug tracking/summarization process

  Is this really 1.6 release critical?  It seems like it could be
  moved to a 1.8 section or "Eventually" to me, but I may be missing
  something.  For 1.6, it seems like we can easily just create copy
  BUGS by hand if this is likely to hold things up any longer.

(5) tasks/TODO - write build/bugs-triage.text
               - complete build/stability.text [ttn]
               - make sure all bugs have required headers

  Are these really 1.6 release critical?  I'm inclined to want to move
  these to the 1.8 section as well.  While I think these improvements
  are important, and should certainly be finished by 1.8, they don't
  seem like anything that can't wait until 1.6.2, etc.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

Rob Browning