* updated NEWS, release tomorrow
@ 2009-07-14 21:13 Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2009-07-14 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hey folks,

I've updated the NEWS as best I could for happenings between 1.9.0 and
1.9.1. They're notable to us, but fortunately many of the changes since
the last release are just changes to 1.9 code that won't be visible to a
1.8 user. Anyway, check the NEWS, or if you're too lazy and everything
goes well, just check your inbox tomorrow.

I should apologize for lack of responsiveness over the last couple
weeks. I started poking at uniform vectors, and that code is the
badness. It's arrays and generalized vectors and uniform vectors and
bitvectors and bytevectors and normal vectors &c &c, and instead of
there being some kind of orthogonal exposition of the types, *all of the
code calls each other*. It's nutty.

Trying to straighten out the mess, the mess pulled me in instead, a big
open parenthesis... I have a branch working more or less, but it won't
be ready for review for another week or so.

Did I mention that the code makes the pun "ra" for "array", apparently
to conserve electrons?

Anyway, distcheck passes, so Ludovic if you don't mind, the repo seems
to be in a releasable state. Let me know if I can help in any other way;
I'll be working but online tomorrow should you need me.

Cheers,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: updated NEWS, release tomorrow
@ 2009-07-14 21:36 ` Julian Graham
From: Julian Graham @ 2009-07-14 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-devel

Thanks, Andy (and Neil and Ludovic and everyone else), for the
continued hard work!  Still can't believe how much progress has
already been made.

@ 2009-07-14 22:21 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-07-14 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hey!

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

> I've updated the NEWS as best I could for happenings between 1.9.0 and
> 1.9.1. They're notable to us, but fortunately many of the changes since
> the last release are just changes to 1.9 code that won't be visible to a
> 1.8 user. Anyway, check the NEWS, or if you're too lazy and everything
> goes well, just check your inbox tomorrow.

Thanks!  Looks good to me.

> I should apologize for lack of responsiveness over the last couple
> weeks. I started poking at uniform vectors, and that code is the
> badness. It's arrays and generalized vectors and uniform vectors and
> bitvectors and bytevectors and normal vectors &c &c, and instead of
> there being some kind of orthogonal exposition of the types, *all of the
> code calls each other*. It's nutty.

Eh eh, indeed.

> Did I mention that the code makes the pun "ra" for "array", apparently
> to conserve electrons?

Makes grepping so much easier!

> Anyway, distcheck passes, so Ludovic if you don't mind, the repo seems
> to be in a releasable state. Let me know if I can help in any other way;
> I'll be working but online tomorrow should you need me.

Thank you!  I'll be working on it in the evening UTC+2.

Ludo'.

* Re: updated NEWS, release tomorrow
@ 2009-07-15  7:24   ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-07-15  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hey!

Hi there.

> Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> I should apologize for lack of responsiveness over the last couple
>> weeks.

Me too; I've been decamping to France for the summer.  I should be
more available from now on (for a while!).

>> I started poking at uniform vectors, and that code is the
>> badness. It's arrays and generalized vectors and uniform vectors and
>> bitvectors and bytevectors and normal vectors &c &c, and instead of
>> there being some kind of orthogonal exposition of the types, *all of the
>> code calls each other*. It's nutty.
>
> Eh eh, indeed.

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here" :-)  Personally I've never dared
to really get into this.

On the other hand, let's not forget that it was written by some clever
people, and that (AFAIK) it works and is fast.

>> Did I mention that the code makes the pun "ra" for "array", apparently
>> to conserve electrons?
>
> Makes grepping so much easier!

:-)

>> Anyway, distcheck passes, so Ludovic if you don't mind, the repo seems
>> to be in a releasable state. Let me know if I can help in any other way;
>> I'll be working but online tomorrow should you need me.
>
> Thank you!  I'll be working on it in the evening UTC+2.

Looking forward to it.  FWIW, after the release I plan to sort out
source properties and getting GDS working again.

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: updated NEWS, release tomorrow
@ 2009-07-15 19:15     ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2009-07-15 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Jerram; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guile-devel

Heya,

On Wed 15 Jul 2009 09:24, Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

>>> I should apologize for lack of responsiveness over the last couple
>>> weeks.
>
> Me too; I've been decamping to France for the summer.  I should be
> more available from now on (for a while!).

All summer? I'm in France frequently. Perhaps one day we should meet up!

>>> I started poking at uniform vectors, and that code is the
>>> badness. It's arrays and generalized vectors and uniform vectors and
>>> bitvectors and bytevectors and normal vectors &c &c, and instead of
>>> there being some kind of orthogonal exposition of the types, *all of the
>>> code calls each other*. It's nutty.
>
> On the other hand, let's not forget that it was written by some clever
> people, and that (AFAIK) it works and is fast.

I think more than fast it's just space-efficient. Anyway, I have
something I think you'll like, just have to separate out the patches
into munchable morsels.

Cheers,

Andy
--

@ 2009-07-15 19:50       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-07-15 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hey!

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

> All summer? I'm in France frequently. Perhaps one day we should meet up!

I'm frequently there, too, so I'd be happy to join in!

Perhaps we should set up a GNU Guile Hackers Meeting (G²HM) by the time
2.0 is released?

Ludo'.

* Re: updated NEWS, release tomorrow
@ 2009-07-19 18:46         ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-07-19 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guile Development

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hey!
>
> Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> All summer? I'm in France frequently. Perhaps one day we should meet up!

That would be great.  I'm in the Pyrenees, near Lourdes, from now
until 31st July, and from 11th August until 4th September.

And in the missing period - since I believe you have Spanish
connections, Andy - I'll be near Valencia.

> I'm frequently there, too, so I'd be happy to join in!

Of course!

> Perhaps we should set up a GNU Guile Hackers Meeting (G²HM) by the time
> 2.0 is released?

If it works for everyone, why not?

     Neil

* GNU Guile Hackers Meeting?
@ 2009-07-20 22:33           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-07-20 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello!

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

>> Perhaps we should set up a GNU Guile Hackers Meeting (G²HM) by the time
>> 2.0 is released?
>
> If it works for everyone, why not?

To make things more concrete, how about August 22--23?  It works for
Andy and me.

We could meet someplace in the Pyrénées---how nice it must be to discuss
Scheme things in the wild.  ;-)

(Of course this is still subject to discussion depending on the
possibilities of everyone.)

Thanks,
Ludo'.

* GNU Guile Hackers Meeting?
@ 2009-07-20 22:37           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-07-20 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello!

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

>> Perhaps we should set up a GNU Guile Hackers Meeting (G²HM) by the time
>> 2.0 is released?
>
> If it works for everyone, why not?

To make things more concrete, how about August 22--23?  It works for
Andy and me.

We could meet someplace in the Pyrénées---how nice it must be to discuss
Scheme things in the wild.  ;-)

Of course this is still subject to discussion depending on the
possibilities of everyone.

Thanks,
Ludo'.

* Re: GNU Guile Hackers Meeting?
@ 2009-07-20 23:15             ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2009-07-20 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guile-devel

> From: Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
>
> Hello!
>
> Neil Jerram writes:
>
> >> Perhaps we should set up a GNU Guile Hackers Meeting (G²HM) by the time
> >> 2.0 is released?
> >
> > If it works for everyone, why not?
>
> To make things more concrete, how about August 22--23?  It works for
> Andy and me.
>
> We could meet someplace in the Pyrénées---how nice it must be to discuss
> Scheme things in the wild.  ;-)

Answering this one just for the sake of comedy.... ;-)

I can't make it.  I live in Los Angeles, and I have tickets for the
Warped Tour punk festival on the 23rd.

-Mike

* Re: GNU Guile Hackers Meeting?
@ 2009-07-21  9:06               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-07-21  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi Mike!

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> writes:

> I can't make it.  I live in Los Angeles, and I have tickets for the
> Warped Tour punk festival on the 23rd.

Eh eh.  It's a bit Western Europe centric, indeed, but I think at least
Julian and you are on the American continent so perhaps you could set up
a meeting in parallel?  :-)

@ 2009-07-21 15:08               ` Julian Graham
From: Julian Graham @ 2009-07-21 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guile-devel

Hey Mike,

> Answering this one just for the sake of comedy.... ;-)
>
> I can't make it.  I live in Los Angeles, and I have tickets for the
> Warped Tour punk festival on the 23rd.

Woah, didn't realize that was already happening -- and I've already
missed all the east coast dates.  Promise me you'll go check out The
Dickies in my stead!  ;)

Seriously, though, I'd gladly play host to a meetup or party here in
New York, although there's an oddly anemic Free Software scene here.
Are there any active Guile hackers in Cambridge, MA?  That could be a
better choice for a US location.

Regards,
Julian

* Re: GNU Guile Hackers Meeting?
@ 2009-07-22 21:23                 ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2009-07-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Graham; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guile-devel

On Jul 21, 2009, at 11:08, Julian Graham wrote:
> Are there any active Guile hackers in Cambridge, MA?  That could be a
> better choice for a US location.

Define "active". :-)
Not so much on Guile itself, but my Guile-Emacs project is coming
along...

Ken

* Re: GNU Guile Hackers Meeting?
@ 2009-07-22 22:32             ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-07-22 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hello!
>
> Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:
>
>>> Perhaps we should set up a GNU Guile Hackers Meeting (G²HM) by the time
>>> 2.0 is released?
>>
>> If it works for everyone, why not?
>
> To make things more concrete, how about August 22--23?  It works for
> Andy and me.

I'm afraid a whole weekend is not possible for me, as it's family
time.  Is during the following week (24th-28th) any good for you?

> We could meet someplace in the Pyrénées---how nice it must be to discuss
> Scheme things in the wild.  ;-)

You'd be very welcome here.  I'm not yet sure what I can offer
accommodation-wise - definitely a tent in the garden for a couple of
people; possibly one bed - but in any case there are plenty of places
to stay near here.  Plus internet, coffee... what else does one need?

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: GNU Guile Hackers Meeting?
@ 2009-07-23 22:10               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-07-23 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Jerram; +Cc: guile-devel

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> I'm afraid a whole weekend is not possible for me, as it's family
> time.  Is during the following week (24th-28th) any good for you?

Yes, on the 24th.  (I'd probably take this opportunity to walk with my
relatives in the mountains the day(s) before.)

> You'd be very welcome here.  I'm not yet sure what I can offer
> accommodation-wise - definitely a tent in the garden for a couple of
> people; possibly one bed - but in any case there are plenty of places
> to stay near here.  Plus internet, coffee... what else does one need?

Beer!  ;-)

Don't worry about the accommodation.  I'll probably be camping and Andy
appeared to have a similar plan in mind.

Then we can either meet in Lourdes or, say, in the "Ossau valley".
Would you be able to move around Lourdes?

Thanks,
Ludo'.

PS: Should we continue this discussion off-list?

* Re: GNU Guile Hackers Meeting?
@ 2009-07-27 23:08                 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-07-27 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:
>
>> I'm afraid a whole weekend is not possible for me, as it's family
>> time.  Is during the following week (24th-28th) any good for you?
>
> Yes, on the 24th.  (I'd probably take this opportunity to walk with my
> relatives in the mountains the day(s) before.)

24th is good for me.

>> You'd be very welcome here.  I'm not yet sure what I can offer
>> accommodation-wise - definitely a tent in the garden for a couple of
>> people; possibly one bed - but in any case there are plenty of places
>> to stay near here.  Plus internet, coffee... what else does one need?
>
> Beer!  ;-)

Beer isn't my strong point, but I believe they do have some in this
valley. :-)  I prefer the cider <ducks>

> Don't worry about the accommodation.  I'll probably be camping and Andy
> appeared to have a similar plan in mind.
>
> Then we can either meet in Lourdes or, say, in the "Ossau valley".

My place is near Aucun, on the road that runs from Argeles-Gazost up
to the Cols de Soulor and d'Aubisque.  Would that be suitable, or do
you specifically want to be in the Ossau valley (which is the other
side of the Col d'Aubisque)?

> Would you be able to move around Lourdes?

I'm afraid I don't understand...  (There isn't a curfew there, or a
Papal visit, as far as I know, and it isn't currently flooded.  But I
don't think that's what you meant!)

> Thanks,
> Ludo'.
>
> PS: Should we continue this discussion off-list?

Well yes, but I don't want to exclude any other Guile hackers or
interested people who might happen to be around.

So let's go offlist after this message.  If there are possible
attendees other than me, Ludo and Andy, please let me know so that I
can continue to CC you.

Regards,
        Neil