* Our temporary guildhall package repository down?
@ 2012-05-04  8:25 Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2012-05-04  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

http://rotty.yi.org/doro/experimental is unavailable for me. And ijp
said it's the same for him.
But Rottmann's site is OK.
Well, if there's some trouble with his site to put guildhall package
repository, I can provide a temporary repository from my web host.
I think this may let us test guildhall till it really works for Guile at least.
Or we may have one more alternative repository.

Could anyone give me all the things of 'experimental' directory? I can
upload them at once.
And my web host is available at least 2 years.

* Re: Our temporary guildhall package repository down?
@ 2012-05-15 20:25 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2012-05-15 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nala Ginrut; +Cc: guile-devel

On Fri 04 May 2012 10:25, Nala Ginrut <nalaginrut@gmail.com> writes:

> http://rotty.yi.org/doro/experimental is unavailable for me. And ijp
> said it's the same for him.
> But Rottmann's site is OK.
> Well, if there's some trouble with his site to put guildhall package
> repository, I can provide a temporary repository from my web host.
> I think this may let us test guildhall till it really works for Guile at least.
> Or we may have one more alternative repository.
>
> Could anyone give me all the things of 'experimental' directory? I can
> upload them at once.
> And my web host is available at least 2 years.

We have guildhall.gnu.org, but we haven't done anything with it.  It's a
fresh VM.  Are you interested in helping administer it?  We should
figure out a way to collaborate.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: Our temporary guildhall package repository down?
@ 2012-05-16  1:56   ` Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2012-05-16  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-devel

OK, if there's no anyone interested in it, I'll take it.
Guildhall is very important for building more powerful Guile community.
I wish it wake up soon. At least we can do some test then contribute to it.

@ 2012-05-27 16:43 ` Andreas Rottmann
From: Andreas Rottmann @ 2012-05-27 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nala Ginrut; +Cc: guile-devel

Nala Ginrut <nalaginrut@gmail.com> writes:

> http://rotty.yi.org/doro/experimental is unavailable for me. And ijp
> said it's the same for him.
>
> But Rottmann's site is OK.

Yeah, seems I didn't copy the repository over when I moved the site onto
the new host.

> Well, if there's some trouble with his site to put guildhall package
> repository, I can provide a temporary repository from my web host.

I think there is a misunderstanding here: guildhall is a (friendly) fork
of dorodango; it's not yet clear if and how repositories would be shared
between dorodango (which targets R6RS implementations, primarily Guile
and Racket) and guildhall (which targets Guile only).

> I think this may let us test guildhall till it really works for Guile
> at least.  Or we may have one more alternative repository.

I think guildhall definitly should have an separate repository (hosted
on official GNU resources), which perhaps might be used in combination
with dorodango's repository (or repositories). I'd also be happy to have
some directory on the (proposed) guildhall host to upload dorodango
(i.e. pure R6RS) packages to.

One thing that needs to be done IMO before a repository (with multiple
uploaders) is feasible, is a (secure) way to upload.  I wrote a script
some time ago based on the idea of an anonymous upload directory, which
packagers would upload packages along with detached GPG signatures.  If
signatures are valid and are made be a a group of people inside a GPG
keyring (i.e. allowed uploaders), these get moved into the actual
repository.  This is similiar (in principle) to how Debian's incoming
queue works.

The script is in `scripts/doro-update-archive' in the dorodango source
tree, but I've not recently checked if it still works, so YMMV.  It
should give you the gist of the idea, and some starting point if someone
wants to pick up this work.

What's also missing is an web-view of the repository.  I also have
started working on that, but likewise, it's unfinished, and much more so
than the upload script (which should be already usable, modulo bugs and
bitrot).  I've pushed the work already done to the `wip-web' branch.

If someone is interested on hacking on these two sub-projects, I'd be
happy to help along.

> Could anyone give me all the things of 'experimental' directory? I can
> upload them at once.

The stuff that used to be there is quite outdated, and it doesn't make
much sense IMO to put it anywhere.  For dorodango, I have in mind
finishing an outstanding feature (support akin to automake's DESTDIR
support), go over the documentation, and make an initial release.
However, my hacking time ATM is quite limited, so I cannot give any date
of when this will eventually happen.

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann -- <http://rotty.yi.org/>

* Re: Our temporary guildhall package repository down?
@ 2012-08-11 13:34   ` Ian Price
From: Ian Price @ 2012-08-11 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Rottmann; +Cc: guile-devel

Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann@gmx.at> writes:

> Nala Ginrut <nalaginrut@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> http://rotty.yi.org/doro/experimental is unavailable for me. And ijp
>> said it's the same for him.
>>
>> But Rottmann's site is OK.
>>
> Yeah, seems I didn't copy the repository over when I moved the site onto
> the new host.

Just an FYI, it still isn't up. :-P I know nalaginrut already offered,
but if you can tell me where to find the available.scm format I can look
into hosting this temporarily myself.

>> I think this may let us test guildhall till it really works for Guile
>> at least.  Or we may have one more alternative repository.
>>
> I think guildhall definitly should have an separate repository (hosted
> on official GNU resources), which perhaps might be used in combination
> with dorodango's repository (or repositories). I'd also be happy to have
> some directory on the (proposed) guildhall host to upload dorodango
> (i.e. pure R6RS) packages to.

Agreed, wingo already mentioned having guildhall.gnu.org which would be
good. I also second having a split section for more portable code.

> One thing that needs to be done IMO before a repository (with multiple
> uploaders) is feasible, is a (secure) way to upload.  I wrote a script
> some time ago based on the idea of an anonymous upload directory, which
> packagers would upload packages along with detached GPG signatures.  If
> signatures are valid and are made be a a group of people inside a GPG
> keyring (i.e. allowed uploaders), these get moved into the actual
> repository.  This is similiar (in principle) to how Debian's incoming
> queue works.

I'm currently looking into whether or not it is feasible to reuse the
code from the elisp marmalade repo code for hosting and providing a web
interface to dorodango packages. I already have a working installation,
but I haven't played with it much yet.

To other guilers,
guildhall/dorodango has languished this year compared to the other goals
of guile-emacs and nicer compilation. I would like this to change. I
don't know if I will be able to change its fortunes, but I would
appreciate help in testing it. In particular, if you have pure scheme
libraries that you would like included, I would be much obliged if you
would email me links to them. (private may be best, so as not to spam
the list).

--
Ian Price -- shift-reset.com

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"

* Re: Our temporary guildhall package repository down?
@ 2012-08-11 14:16     ` Ian Price
From: Ian Price @ 2012-08-11 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Rottmann; +Cc: guile-devel

Ian Price <ianprice90@googlemail.com> writes:

> Just an FYI, it still isn't up. :-P I know nalaginrut already offered,
> but if you can tell me where to find the available.scm format I can look
> into hosting this temporarily myself.

Oh I see, it is just a list of package forms (as in pkg-list.scm), but
with a location property