* Implementing ES6 on top of Guile
@ 2021-07-05 10:52 Ayush Jha
From: Ayush Jha @ 2021-07-05 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

The issue:

I found an implementation of ECMAScript on Guile in the docs, and I was
wondering if anyone is working on improving it/building an alternative.

I would love to get started on it. What is the status of the ECMAScript
implementation project as of now?

My Background:

I am very new to the Guile project. I have written scripts in Guile and
have dabbled in the source code, but over all - I am fairly new to the
project.

--
Regards,
Ayush Jha

* Re: Implementing ES6 on top of Guile
@ 2021-07-06  7:48 ` Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2021-07-06  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ayush Jha; +Cc: guile-devel

Hi Ayush!
I have some experiences to write language frontend on Guile.
Here are posts and project you can take a look, they could be helpful to
you.

https://nalaginrut.com/archives/2016/09/05/a-preview-of-guile-lua-%28rebirth%29%2c-and-some-opinions-

https://gitlab.com/NalaGinrut/guile-lua-rebirth

https://nalaginrut.com/archives/2014/04/15/simple%2c-but-not-so-simple

I actually have a very preliminary project to implement ES10, however, I
never have time to finish it since I started my own company.

ES10 has small fixes compared with ES6, so it's mostly ES10. Anyway,
JavaScript is a big language to implement.

I'm still interested in JavaScript frontend. I can answer questions as I
can if you really want to make your hands dirty.

Best regards.

@ 2021-07-06  7:49   ` Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2021-07-06  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ayush Jha; +Cc: guile-devel

Sorry, "it's mostly ES6".

@ 2021-07-06 12:33 ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2021-07-06 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

On 7/5/21 3:52 AM, Ayush Jha wrote:
> The issue:
>
> I found an implementation of ECMAScript on Guile in the docs, and I was
> wondering if anyone is working on improving it/building an alternative.
>
> I would love to get started on it. What is the status of the ECMAScript
> implementation project as of now?
>

> My Background:
>
> I am very new to the Guile project. I have written scripts in Guile and
> have dabbled in the source code, but over all - I am fairly new to the
> project.

NYACC includes an example of partial javascript implementation:

https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/nyacc.git/tree/examples/nyacc/lang/javascript

I stopped at implementing objects, because I wanted to have a
uniform implementation.   The above does have functions and control
structures.

Matt