From: Neil Jerram <neiljerram@gmail.com>
To: Catonano <catonano@gmail.com>
Cc: guile-devel <guile-devel@gnu.org>,
	Vijay Marupudi <vijay@vijaymarupudi.com>
Subject: Re: a cookbook
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 09:54:09 +0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 at 09:04, Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> wrote:

> Il giorno lun 14 feb 2022 alle ore 18:01 Vijay Marupudi <vijay@vijaymarupudi.com> ha scritto:
>>
>> > Is there any interest/possibility to have such a cookbook hosted
>> > within the Guile official documentation (as it is for Guix) ?
>>
>> I personally think that a Cookbook should be an independent effort, with
>> links from the Guile Manual if possible. This would lighten the load on
>> the maintainers, and allow for quicker collaboration.
>

> but then the discoverability of the cookbook would be diminished 🙁

Yes, agree that the resulting cookbook needs to be easily
discoverable.  Perhaps that means that if you install a guile-doc
package, it appears as a top-level Info item like Guile Reference
does.  Perhaps it doesn't need to be quite as specific as that.
(Although personally I really like doc being available locally, e.g.
in Info form, instead of always going online.)

But as you also say...

> [...]
>
> As for you creating a web site, I'd prefer such a website to be a communitarian effort, rather than depend on a single person
>
> Maybe a wiki on Gitlab could do and it could have several mantainers ?
> I'd be happy to be one

Yes, definitely feels right to crowd-source this, instead of having it
centralized in the core Guile repo.

It feels to me that with the right structure in place, people will
readily come and contribute the detailed material to it.  So it's
worth spending a little time to decide the right structure.

Best wishes,
    Neil