The problem seems to be the presence of -L\(libdir\) on the libtool command lines. See makev-guile-2.0.11 for output of make V=1 But, I get the same problem when building glib-2.4, so it is unlikely that it's a guile problem, more likely something weird about my system (it's an old ubuntu distribution, which I can't upgrade because I can't get a net connection beefy enough to download the gigabytes of binaries that Linux distributuions now involve). Nevertheless, if you or anyone else on this list have/has any idea what it could be, I'd be grateful. I want to get guile running again. Ian