On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 1:10 AM, Mark H Weaver wrote: > Can you try "make V=1" and show us the output that corresponds to > the above? > See attached makelog file. It looks like the libtool file itself has the ´hard code´uninitialised (libdir)´. This is probably not very useful, I'm sorry. I will try again, but I am working on a machine that is not net connected. > The relevant rule starts with "libguile-@GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION@.la:" > in libguile/Makefile.in (line 2241 in guile-2.0.11). In the generated > libguile/Makefile, the relevant rule starts with "libguile-2.0.la:". > I see "-rpath $(libdir)" in the associated command, but it seems as if a > bare "(libdir)" is getting passed to libtool somehow. > > What kind of system are you doing this on? What version of make? > See the makev attachment to this message. It's the output of uname, ldconfig and make -v > Can you search for "rl_get_keymap" in "config.log" and see what went > wrong here? It tries to compile a simple test program, and it would be > useful to see what error message(s) it printed. > See attatched readline_prob file. It looks like something to do with curses. Does the test program need ncurses? > You probably already know this, but on a GNU/Linux system it's important > to run "ldconfig" as root after installing libraries from source code. > I used to know that, but I'd forgotten it! I recall the bad old days when upgrading glibc was a major PITA, and everything was in such a state of flux that one ended up needing seven different versions of glibc, then it was necessary. But I haven´t done this for a long time ... Thanks for your attention, and sorry for the reply latency. Ian