* Python on guile version 1.2
@ 2020-04-10 13:41 Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2020-04-10 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel, Guile User

Hi

I'm pleased to announce python on guile 1.2. This version increases the
correctness of the parser as well as adding quite a number of system py
files that compiles as an example the we can now generate python ast from
the compiler. Also some work to improve speed have been done.

Python on guile is both a python clone and a macro framework where python
objects and methods can be used in pure scheme code. There is some
significant  speed penalty due to this and a perfect match between python
modules and guile modules has not been achieved.

On the todo is to test the python modules as much as I can and with time
add more modules. The next modules to add is see if we can get the cpythons
ffi framework to be ported to guile as well as porting the zip modules.

Sources (make sure to use the latest dependencies):
https://gitlab.com/python-on-guile/python-on-guile

Happy hacking!

* Re: Python on guile version 1.2
@ 2020-04-25 16:27 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-04-25 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Israelsson Tampe; +Cc: Guile User, guile-devel

Dear,

Thank you for this interesting work.

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 at 15:41, Stefan Israelsson Tampe
<stefan.itampe@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce python on guile 1.2. This version increases the
> correctness of the parser as well as adding quite a number of system py
> files that compiles as an example the we can now generate python ast from
> the compiler. Also some work to improve speed have been done.

What do you mean by "now generate python AST from the compiler"?
Do you mean that now python-on-guile can compile the python module
named ast ('import ast')?

> Python on guile is both a python clone and a macro framework where python
> objects and methods can be used in pure scheme code. There is some
> significant  speed penalty due to this and a perfect match between python
> modules and guile modules has not been achieved.

Nice!
If I understand correctly, python-on-guile is a first step similar to
Hy [1] but using the Guile compiler tower instead of one of the Python
interpreters, right?

[1] https://docs.hylang.org/en/stable/

> Sources (make sure to use the latest dependencies):
> https://gitlab.com/python-on-guile/python-on-guile

The current version in Guix is 0.1.0-3.00a51a2 using Guile 2.2.
Does it work on Guile 3?

And are the latest dependencies?

All the best,
simon

* Re: Python on guile version 1.2
@ 2020-04-26 18:21   ` Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2020-04-26 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guile User, guile-devel

yes we can compile to module ast

python-on-guile compiles to macros in scheme that can be used without
compiling python from scheme. It targets
good or excellent interoperability between scheme and python

Yes works on guile 3.0. Also you need the most current dependencies see
readme