Hello, Freeman Gilmore ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 20., Pén 1:45): > Hi: > > I am not a programmer. Have some understanding of scheme. I have a > question that I cannot find the answer to on the net. I joined this > group to ask if someone would help me find the answer. > > I am looking for a manual or whatever that will explain in detail how an > alist is stored in memory and how it works at this level. Also, how assq > and assq-ref work, what is past to the alist at the same level. Also, > the source code would be good. > Storing an atomic value is implementation dependent, but usually implemented by a type tagged structure. (You can think about this as a tuple of a type, buffer, where buffer is a length,pointer there are several optimizations, but this is a possibility). A pair is a structure holding two atomics with accessors to them. (Possible implementation: Type:pair, buffer is twice as long as an atomic, two atomics are stored there. The accessors return the buffer buffer+sizeof(atomic) respectively.) For lists there is a special value, the empty list. (This can be implemented by setting the pointer to null) A list is stored as a pair where the first member is a value, the current first element, and the second is a list, the current tail. An alist is a list of pairs. Assq and assq-ref is just a find with a predicate on the first element of the pair eq to the value passed in as key. Actually assq-ref is (compose car assq). What find does is that it recurses on the list. It is something like: (define (find pred list) (if (empty list) #f (if (pred (car list)) (car list) (find pred (cdr list))))) I hope it helps. This is just a conceptual level, usually a modern implementation has a lot of optimalizations on top of that. An alist is a list of pairs. > Thank you, ƒg > Best regards, g_bor >