* Register-based VM GSOC project
@ 2012-03-14 22:06 Steve Jothen
From: Steve Jothen @ 2012-03-14 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hey guys,

I'd like to apply to work on Guile for this years GSOC. I saw Mark's TODO
list and thought that working towards a register-based VM in guile looks
like a fun project. I was wondering about your thoughts on doing this as a
GSOC project. Do you think it is possible to complete such a project in 3
months? If not, maybe there's a smaller project that could be used as a
stepping stone towards a register-based VM and then native compilation.

I've also taken a look at some of Guile's source code and it seems like a
lot of the code depends on certain stack-based features of the VM right
now, so I can see it could be more complex than compiling the scheme source
code to a different set of opcodes. Since you guys are obviously more
familiar with the Guile code, what would your approach be to do it?

Any insights you have would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,
Steve