The following patch allows to specify a required Guile version in GUILE_PROGS. By default, it requires >= 2.0. The following works: GUILE_PROGS([2.0]) GUILE_PROGS([2.0.9]) It also works with 1.8. I am not an expert on m4 macros. I've used "cut" instead of m4_bregexp. I tried it but couldn't get it right. In some packages I have implemented procedures which will be available in the next release of Guile. My plan is to remove these procedures and add a requirement on a Guile version. Let me know what you think. Aleix