On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Mark H Weaver wrote: > Hi Noah, > Hello, > In general, I think the idea of requiring people to write scheme code to > manipulate %load-path (and other settings) is a fine approach. Maybe > you're right that this is better than adding a bunch of new environment > variables. > However, neither init.scm nor ~/.guile is sufficient for this job. > init.scm is site-wide, and generally only editable by root, and ~/.guile > is only run by interactive REPL sessions. So to do as you suggest, we'd > need to add another user-specific file that is read when initializing > guile, even for non-interactive sessions. > Ah, I didn't realize that was an issue. I was modeling this on what Emacs does, but it doesn't run in batch mode very much. Three configuration files with different meanings seems like a lot, but there's no other way that preserves backwards compatibility. Maybe we could use the $XDG_CONFIG directory for it (not that I like their default value). > Also, note that this still doesn't solve our immediate problem regarding > Guildhall and SRFIs in a backward-compatible way, so we still need to > support the "..." marker for the next 7-8 years, unless someone has a > better suggestion. > I see your point, but leaving it like this doesn't fix anything that isn't already broken; is that right? If so, I think we could justify saying that people need to upgrade to get the new behavior, especially if the complexity of supporting old versions is high. Noah