* New module proposal: argp
@ 2020-04-27 15:18 Dale Mellor
From: Dale Mellor @ 2020-04-27 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello,

   I've recently sent up updates to the (ice-9 getopt-long) module as needed for my mcron program, and I want to follow that up
with a higher-level argument parser in a new module called argp (it will work along similar lines to glibc's argp).

   Would be interested to know if anyone has an opinion on this.

   Also, is the best way to proceed to just write a new (ice-9 argp) module, or should I be engaging with the SRFI or RNRS
communities first?

Any comments welcome,
Best wishes,
Dale

* Re: New module proposal: argp
@ 2020-04-28 10:25 ` Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2020-04-28 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale Mellor; +Cc: guile-devel

Hi Dale,

I would like to see an easier way to parse arguments, but I did not yet find
something that’s on-par with the argparse module in Python.

Best wishes,
Arne

Dale Mellor <guile-rc34xq@rdmp.org> writes:
>    Also, is the best way to proceed to just write a new (ice-9 argp) module, or should I be engaging with the SRFI or RNRS
> communities first?

I think you should first try making something you like to use and then
make an SRFI out of it.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

* Re: New module proposal: argp
@ 2020-04-28 10:49   ` William ML Leslie
From: William ML Leslie @ 2020-04-28 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: Dale Mellor, guile-devel

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020, 8:28 pm Arne Babenhauserheide, <arne_bab@web.de> wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> I would like to see an easier way to parse arguments, but I did not yet
> find
> something that’s on-par with the argparse module in Python.
>
> Best wishes,
> Arne

The Python world seem mostly enamoured with click.

https://click.palletsprojects.com/en/7.x/

* Re: New module proposal: argp
@ 2020-04-28 12:39 ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2020-04-28 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello,

Dale Mellor <guile-rc34xq@rdmp.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
>    I've recently sent up updates to the (ice-9 getopt-long) module as needed for my mcron program, and I want to follow that up
> with a higher-level argument parser in a new module called argp (it will work along similar lines to glibc's argp).
>
>    Would be interested to know if anyone has an opinion on this.

I don't know about glibc's argp, but for an argument parser that
provides some features mentioned by for instance 'click' further down
thread, check out https://gitlab.com/a-sassmannshausen/guile-config

(guix install guile-config if you have guix, though the usual make
etc. should also work).

Alex

* Re: New module proposal: argp
@ 2020-04-28 18:43     ` Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2020-04-28 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William ML Leslie; +Cc: Arne Babenhauserheide, Dale Mellor, guile-devel

William ML Leslie <william.leslie.ttg@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 28 Apr 2020, 8:28 pm Arne Babenhauserheide, <arne_bab@web.de> wrote:
> The Python world seem mostly enamoured with click.
>
> https://click.palletsprojects.com/en/7.x/

I missed that one — decorators give a semablance of macros (with all the
compile-time vs. runtime issues they bring), so that should be well
replicatable in Scheme.

However looking at that site, the main point of click is that a lot of
work went into it.

Best wishes,
Arne
--