* load_extension tests broken
@ 2008-08-16 18:27 Han-Wen Nienhuys
From: Han-Wen Nienhuys @ 2008-08-16 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi there,

I just debugged myself silly to find a problem in the new GC as it was
running the test suite.  As it turns out, the test suite is loading
extension modules (i18n.so to be precise) from the path I supplied
in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Since this was an old version, this failed in
mysterious ways.

Could someone modify the pre-inst-guile to make sure it always tries
to load locally compiled modules first?

Thanks!

--
 Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwen@xs4all.nl - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen

* Re: load_extension tests broken
@ 2008-08-18 19:05 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2008-08-18 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hanwen; +Cc: guile-devel

Hi,

On Sat 16 Aug 2008 11:27, Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@xs4all.nl> writes:

> As it turns out, the test suite is loading extension modules (i18n.so
> to be precise) from the path I supplied in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Since this
> was an old version, this failed in mysterious ways.
>
> Could someone modify the pre-inst-guile to make sure it always tries
> to load locally compiled modules first?

Could this be a bad interaction between LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH perhaps? (God I hate libtool.)

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: load_extension tests broken
@ 2008-08-22 18:56 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2008-08-22 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hey,

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@xs4all.nl> writes:

> I just debugged myself silly to find a problem in the new GC as it was
> running the test suite.  As it turns out, the test suite is loading
> extension modules (i18n.so to be precise) from the path I supplied
> in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Since this was an old version, this failed in
> mysterious ways.
>
> Could someone modify the pre-inst-guile to make sure it always tries
> to load locally compiled modules first?

I don't think there's any such problem, at least on GNU/Linux.  See:

  $ ./pre-inst-guile
  guile> (getenv "LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH")
  "/home/ludo/src/guile/libguile:/home/ludo/src/guile/guile-readline:/home/ludo/src/guile/srfi:"

The first directory is the build directory.

Just to make sure, I also ran `pre-inst-guile', typed
"(use-modules (ice-9 i18n))" and attached GDB to it: it shows that the
right `libguile-i18n' is loaded.

If in doubt, can you try similar things on your machine?

Thanks,
Ludovic.

* Re: load_extension tests broken
@ 2008-08-22 19:19   ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2008-08-22 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-devel

On Fri 22 Aug 2008 11:56, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Just to make sure, I also ran `pre-inst-guile', typed
> "(use-modules (ice-9 i18n))" and attached GDB to it: it shows that the
> right `libguile-i18n' is loaded.

I saw that pre-inst-guile-env did not have libguile in it (although
pre-inst-guile does); perhaps that was the problem. That's fixed on the
vm branch, but bundled in with a bunch of other things, unfortunately.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: load_extension tests broken
@ 2008-08-23  2:27   ` Han-Wen Nienhuys
From: Han-Wen Nienhuys @ 2008-08-23  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Ludovic Courtès escreveu:
> I don't think there's any such problem, at least on GNU/Linux.  See:
>
>   $ ./pre-inst-guile
>   guile> (getenv "LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH")
>   "/home/ludo/src/guile/libguile:/home/ludo/src/guile/guile-readline:/home/ludo/src/guile/srfi:"
>
> The first directory is the build directory.
>
> Just to make sure, I also ran `pre-inst-guile', typed
> "(use-modules (ice-9 i18n))" and attached GDB to it: it shows that the
> right `libguile-i18n' is loaded.
>
> If in doubt, can you try similar things on your machine?

(getenv "LD_LIBRARY_PATH")
"/home/lilydev/usr/lib:"

I'm running Fedora 9.
--

@ 2008-08-23 11:01     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2008-08-23 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello,

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès escreveu:
>> I don't think there's any such problem, at least on GNU/Linux.  See:
>>
>>   $ ./pre-inst-guile
>>   guile> (getenv "LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH")
>>   "/home/ludo/src/guile/libguile:/home/ludo/src/guile/guile-readline:/home/ludo/src/guile/srfi:"
>>
>> The first directory is the build directory.
>>
>> Just to make sure, I also ran `pre-inst-guile', typed
>> "(use-modules (ice-9 i18n))" and attached GDB to it: it shows that the
>> right `libguile-i18n' is loaded.
>>
>> If in doubt, can you try similar things on your machine?
>
> (getenv "LD_LIBRARY_PATH")
> "/home/lilydev/usr/lib:"

You should look at `LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH' instead (see above) since it's
what ltdl follows.

Thanks,
Ludo'.

* Re: load_extension tests broken
@ 2009-06-30 22:25     ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-06-30 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guile-devel

Another old loose end...

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

> On Fri 22 Aug 2008 11:56, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Just to make sure, I also ran `pre-inst-guile', typed
>> "(use-modules (ice-9 i18n))" and attached GDB to it: it shows that the
>> right `libguile-i18n' is loaded.
>
> I saw that pre-inst-guile-env did not have libguile in it (although
> pre-inst-guile does); perhaps that was the problem.

I think so.  We discussed and agreed this way back [1], and someone
called Neil even claimed to have committed it - but I can't now find
any record of that.

Anyway, I'll commit this change now to pre-inst-guile.in and
pre-inst-guile-env.in in branch_release-1-8.

Regards,
        Neil

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/guile-devel@gnu.org/msg01635.html

* Re: load_extension tests broken
@ 2009-07-01  8:35       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-07-01  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Jerram; +Cc: Andy Wingo, guile-devel

Hello,

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri 22 Aug 2008 11:56, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> Just to make sure, I also ran `pre-inst-guile', typed
>>> "(use-modules (ice-9 i18n))" and attached GDB to it: it shows that the
>>> right `libguile-i18n' is loaded.
>>
>> I saw that pre-inst-guile-env did not have libguile in it (although
>> pre-inst-guile does); perhaps that was the problem.

There's no `(ice-9 i18n)' in 1.8.

> I think so.  We discussed and agreed this way back [1], and someone
> called Neil even claimed to have committed it - but I can't now find
> any record of that.
>
> Anyway, I'll commit this change now to pre-inst-guile.in and
> pre-inst-guile-env.in in branch_release-1-8.

The patch at [1] shouldn't be needed because the Libtool-generated
`libguile/guile' scripts does the right thing wrt. the libraries the
executable is linked against (i.e., libguile, libgmp, etc.).

Thanks,
Ludo'.

@ 2009-07-01 22:19         ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-07-01 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Andy Wingo, guile-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> There's no `(ice-9 i18n)' in 1.8.

> The patch at [1] shouldn't be needed because the Libtool-generated
> `libguile/guile' scripts does the right thing wrt. the libraries the
> executable is linked against (i.e., libguile, libgmp, etc.).

Sorry, I see now and have reverted the commit.  Thanks for catching
and explaining this!

Regards,
        Neil