From: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
To: Ramin Honary <ramin.honary@gmail.com>
Cc: guile-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Question: planning support for SRFI-125, SRFI-133?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 08:48:41 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi,

Ramin Honary <ramin.honary@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Guile developers:
>
> I have come to realize that there are several finalized SRFIs
> published by John Cowan and others, for example, SRFI-133 (vector
> library), SRFI-125 (intermediate hash tables), SRFI-126 (R6RS-based
> hash tables) that were intended to replace older SRFIs (for example
> SRFI-43, and SRFI-69) when R7RS-large is supposed to be ratified.
>
> Looking at the functionality already available in Guile, it seems like
> these newer SRFIs could very easily be supported since the
> functionality is already fully implemented and could be re-exported as
> modules in the (srfi srfi-*) modules. And incidentally, GNU/MIT Scheme
> does provide support for SRFI-125 and SRFI-133 already.
>
> So I am wondering why this hasn't been done in Guile yet? Is it a lack
> of time and human resources? Or is it somehow against the Guile
> philosophy to try to implement these newer SRFIs? Or maybe you want to
> wait until R7RS-large is ratified?
>
> If it is a lack of resources, I might like to try implementing these
> SRFIs in Guile and submit a patch.
>
> Thanks for your time and hard work implementing Guile!

I think it's just a matter of someone integrating it, making sure the
test suites they provide build fine and documenting these to a minimum
in the manual.  I also need srfi-125 (and srfi-128), which are
requirements for srfi-209, which I'd like to add.  I have no experience
adding SRFIs to Guile, but it looks relatively straightforward, assuming
the existing implementation is compatible with Guile
(past commit logs are probably helpful as well,
e.g. 5f60eb6bb5af418b332101c69c88da639b117ae4, which added srfi-171).

Maxim