* Backward compatibility
@ 2003-09-06  9:33 Dirk Herrmann
From: Dirk Herrmann @ 2003-09-06  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello together,

I would like to remove the SCM_IM_ definitions from the public
interface. Also, the definition of ilocs should not be public. These
definitions should only be used as an internal interface, for example
between memoization and execution. To make this possible and to clean up
certain issues, I have some ideas about changing the type codes of
immediates.

This, however, would influence the backwards compatibility. Later code
would remain source code compatible, but not binary compatible. That is,
the code would need to be recompiled.

I realize that you, Marius, have put a lot of effort to make guile
backwards compatible. Do you intend to make it binary backwards
compatible, or is it sufficient for you if Guile was sourcecode
backwards compatible?

Best regards
Dirk