* Make the pkgconfig file of Guile relocatable.
@ 2022-02-27 16:04 Zhu Zihao
From: Zhu Zihao @ 2022-02-27 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Currently, the guile-3.0.pc.in in 'meta' use the variable substitution
directly.

prefix=@prefix@
exec_prefix=@exec_prefix@
bindir=@bindir@
libdir=@libdir@
includedir=@includedir@
datarootdir=@datarootdir@
datadir=@datadir@
pkgdatadir=@datadir@/guile
pkgincludedir=@includedir@/guile

sitedir=@sitedir@
extensiondir=@libdir@/guile/@GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION@/extensions
siteccachedir=@libdir@/guile/@GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION@/site-ccache
libguileinterface=@LIBGUILE_INTERFACE@

sitedir, siteccachedir and extensiondir will be subsituted to the full
path of the install path of Guile.

But sometimes I want to install guile module in different
prefix(e.g. NixOS, Guix, flatpak). I have to adjust these variable
manually.

My idea is change the definition of sitedir, siteccachedir, extensiondir
use the variable substition of pkg-config instead of autotools.

For example

sitedir=${datadir}/guile/site/@GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION@
siteccachedir=${libdir}/guile/@GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION@/extensions

So I can use

pkg-config guile-3.0 --define-variable=libdir=$MY_PREFIX --variable=siteccachedir

to get the correct install directory.

Thoughts?
--
Retrieve my PGP public key:

  gpg --recv-keys D47A9C8B2AE3905B563D9135BE42B352A9F6821F

Zihao

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Make the pkgconfig file of Guile relocatable.
@ 2022-02-28  7:03 ` Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2022-02-28  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhu Zihao; +Cc: guile-devel

hi Zihao!

I think the substitution is OK.
But if you want to package for Guix, you need to go Guix way.
Guix package has made a similar approach, for example, you may check "guix
edit artanis" to see how it substitutes the dir for Artanis.

Best regards.

@ 2022-10-12 12:25 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-10-12 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi,

Zhu Zihao <all_but_last@163.com> skribis:

> My idea is change the definition of sitedir, siteccachedir, extensiondir
> use the variable substition of pkg-config instead of autotools.
>
> For example
>
> sitedir=${datadir}/guile/site/@GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION@
> siteccachedir=${libdir}/guile/@GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION@/extensions

Sounds reasonable to me.  Would you like to submit a patch?

Thanks,
Ludo’.