* Packages depending on (guix build syscalls)
@ 2022-10-20 20:05 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-10-20 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello Guix!

Quite a few packages depend on (guix build syscalls), starting from
‘ant-bootstrap’ (since commit cded3a759356ff66b7df668bcdbdfa0daf96f4c5
in 2018) up to GNOME-related packages such as ‘mutter’ (commit
d1c2fe248a7a326189fb7dcae64a59ece96251ba a few months ago).

It’s great that we can reuse this module in different contexts!  The
downside is that the module evolves quite often, because it’s a
foundation for Guix System and other things.  As a result, all these
packages get rebuilt every time we change it.

Maybe the only recommendation I would have is that we should make sure
we really need it before having a package deep down the graph depend on
it.  I wouldn’t want us to do ‘staging’ cycles when we need a change in
(guix build syscalls).

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

* Re: Packages depending on (guix build syscalls)
@ 2022-10-21  5:57 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-10-21  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guile-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1229 bytes --]

On 20-10-2022 22:05, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> Quite a few packages depend on (guix build syscalls), starting from
> ‘ant-bootstrap’ (since commit cded3a759356ff66b7df668bcdbdfa0daf96f4c5
> in 2018) up to GNOME-related packages such as ‘mutter’ (commit
> d1c2fe248a7a326189fb7dcae64a59ece96251ba a few months ago). [...]
> Maybe the only recommendation I would have is that we should make sure
> we really need it before having a package deep down the graph depend on
> it.  I wouldn’t want us to do ‘staging’ cycles when we need a change in
> (guix build syscalls).
>
> Thoughts?

antioxidant.scm (used by all Rust packages in antioxidant-build-system)
uses 'scandir*' from (guix build syscalls), though that one looks like
simply be replaced by 'scandir'.

The same holds for antioxidant-workspaces.scm (used by a few Rust
packages, but not, say librsvg).

They will have to be adjusted, then.

Additionally, to me it looks like a few of the things in (guix build
syscalls) could be eventually moved in Guile itself, e.g. mktemp!,
fdatasync and setxattr, which could eventually reduce the need of
packages to import (guix build syscalls).

Greetings,
Maxime.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Packages depending on (guix build syscalls)
@ 2022-10-21  8:16 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-10-21  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Oops, this was meant for guix-devel, apologies!

* Re: Packages depending on (guix build syscalls)
@ 2022-10-21  8:18   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-10-21  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi!

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> skribis:

> Additionally, to me it looks like a few of the things in (guix build
> syscalls) could be eventually moved in Guile itself, e.g. mktemp!,
> fdatasync and setxattr, which could eventually reduce the need of
> packages to import (guix build syscalls).

Yes, we should definitely add more of these bindings to Guile.

‘mkdtemp’, for example, was added in Guile 3.0.6, so we no longer need
to use our own variant.

Ludo’.