* Autoconf-like #defines in distributed header file
@ 2002-07-27 16:52 rm
From: rm @ 2002-07-27 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list/maintainers,

working on the autoconf-ing of mod_guile i
just realized that the guile build process
(via autogen.sh) uses 'atoheader' to produce
libguile/scmconfig.h.in which is later processed
by configure to generate libguile/scmconfig.h.
I think this use of autoheader to produce a header
file that gets distributed might create problems in
situations where libguile is used by other autoconf-
enabled software. If suchsoftware uses its own version
of 'config.h' (which is _not_ supposed to get installed)
like in the following example:

| #include "config.h"
| #include <libguile.h>

... '#define's from the build phase of libguile leak into the
software's build. '#define PACKAGE_VERSION ""' from scmconfig.h
will override the softwares own version of the value and possibly
introduce errant behaviour if the software uses this value for
its own version testing.

Fix: probably create scmconfig.h.in maually, avoiding the general
'#define's (or moving them to config.h.in or any similar file that
doesn't get installed).

 Ralf Mattes

* Autoconf-like #defines in distributed header file
@ 2002-08-05 11:54 ` Han-Wen Nienhuys
From: Han-Wen Nienhuys @ 2002-08-05 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

[just adding my 2 cents. I've ignored discussion till now.]

rm@fabula.de writes:

> ... '#define's from the build phase of libguile leak into the
> software's build. '#define PACKAGE_VERSION ""' from scmconfig.h
> will override the softwares own version of the value and possibly
> introduce errant behaviour if the software uses this value for
> its own version testing.

I just recompiled lilypnod with gcc3 and for some reason it
only now complains with .

out/version.hh:6:1: let op: "PACKAGE_NAME" redefined
In file included from /users/hanwen/usr/pkg/guile/include/libguile/__scm.h:157,
                 from /users/hanwen/usr/pkg/guile/include/libguile.h:50,
                 from /users/hanwen/usr/pkg/guile/include/guile/gh.h:50,
                 from include/lily-guile.hh:18,
                 from include/parse-scm.hh:6,
                 from lexer.ll:31:
/users/hanwen/usr/pkg/guile/include/libguile/scmconfig.h:562:1: let op: this is the location of the previous definition

In any case, I think this should be fixed (I'll look into the
discussion when mail.gnu.org becomes alive again.)

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   hanwen@cs.uu.nl    | http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/

* Re: Autoconf-like #defines in distributed header file
@ 2002-08-05 16:30   ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-08-05 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@cs.uu.nl> writes:

> out/version.hh:6:1: let op: "PACKAGE_NAME" redefined
> In file included from /users/hanwen/usr/pkg/guile/include/libguile/__scm.h:157,
>                  from /users/hanwen/usr/pkg/guile/include/libguile.h:50,
>                  from /users/hanwen/usr/pkg/guile/include/guile/gh.h:50,
>                  from include/lily-guile.hh:18,
>                  from include/parse-scm.hh:6,
>                  from lexer.ll:31:
> /users/hanwen/usr/pkg/guile/include/libguile/scmconfig.h:562:1: let op: this is the location of the previous definition
>

> In any case, I think this should be fixed (I'll look into the
> discussion when mail.gnu.org becomes alive again.)

OK.  I believe I've fixed this (at least the egregious PACKAGE_* bits)
in 1.5. This is a temp fix, but it's moving in the direction I
outlined in my previous msg about scmconfig.h/config.h, etc.

See the ChangeLog(s) for more details on the current modifications,
and please let me know if this doesn't address the problem at least to
the point that it's no longer release-critical.

Thanks

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu