* Compiler Warning message ideas
@ 2012-01-22 22:01 Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2012-01-22 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

When compiling newest stable-2.0 I noticed,

wrote `ice-9/eval.go'
  GUILEC ice-9/psyntax-pp.go
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 69632):
    May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
wrote `ice-9/psyntax-pp.go'

E.g. basically making a thread allocates a large block for the stack and
the bohem gc explicitly tells us
that doing this will probably lead to memory leak using their gc.

So, make sure to use  "thread pools" or at least pools of stacks.

An idea is to hack on guile so that thread creation will allocate the
stacks from a pool and then see if the
memory leak is plugged.

/Stefan

* Re: Compiler Warning message ideas
@ 2012-01-23 15:48 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2012-01-23 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Israelsson Tampe <stefan.itampe@gmail.com> skribis:

> When compiling newest stable-2.0 I noticed,
>
> wrote `ice-9/eval.go'
>   GUILEC ice-9/psyntax-pp.go
> GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 69632):
>     May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
> wrote `ice-9/psyntax-pp.go'
>
> E.g. basically making a thread allocates a large block for the stack and
> the bohem gc explicitly tells us
> that doing this will probably lead to memory leak using their gc.

Since it happens only when bootstrapping the compiler, I don’t think it
has anything to do with thread stacks, especially since there’s only one
thread at this point (plus the signal thread.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.