From: Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com>
To: Chris Vine <vine35792468@gmail.com>
Cc: guile-user@gnu.org, guile-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: GNU Guile 3.0.3 released
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 14:07:53 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue 23 Jun 2020 11:36, Chris Vine <vine35792468@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 10:05:51 +0200
> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Chris Vine <vine35792468@gmail.com> skribis:

>> > [snip]
>> >
>> > This has a libguile so ABI jump from libguile-3.0.so.1 to
>> > libguile-3.0.so.3, which breaks my binaries linked to libguile.  Is that
>> > normal for a micro update in the stable release series and if so can
>> > there be some warning in the announcement?
>>
>> Yes, it means you need to relink those binaries.
>>
>> I was hesitant about the SONAME: the ABI jump was unnecessary unless in
>> ‘--disable-deprecated’ builds.  I erred on the side of cautiousness:
>>
>>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=5d052c87bd8f0fd894e67f0bebd4fa6f6160d83c
>
> Hi,
>
> Ah right.  There must have been two SO breaks between guile-3.0.2 and
> guile-3.0.3.
>
> It's a nuisance having SO bumps on micro releases and I wonder if that
> could be included in the announcement so that you don't first notice it
> when stuff fails to run?

I think I agree with Chris.  The intention is certainly to have a stable
ABI within a stable series, so 3.0.3 should have the same CURRENT.

It's certainly correct that a --disable-deprecated 3.0.3 build has a
different ABI than 3.0.2, and if that were what we were looking at, we
would indeed need the CURRENT version bump; but I think the premise is
wrong: we do *not* have a stable ABI in --disable-deprecated builds, and
we never have.  Otherwise we wouldn't ever be able to deprecate anything
within a stable series.

WDYT about a quick 3.0.4 that restores the CURRENT ?

Cheers,

Andy