* Remove objprop.c from libguile?
@ 2002-03-15 13:52 Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2002-03-15 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

While documenting `make-object-property', I noticed that we could (in
HEAD CVS) remove objprop.c completely and replace it by the following
compatibility definitions (possibly deprecated):

(define old-properties (make-object-property))

(define (object-properties obj)
  "Return @var{obj}'s property list."
  (or (old-properties obj) '()))

(define (set-object-properties! obj alist)
  "Set @var{obj}'s property list to @var{alist}."
  (set! (old-properties obj) alist))

(define (object-property obj key)
  "Return the property of @var{obj} with name @var{key}."
  (assq-ref (object-properties obj) key))

(define (set-object-property! obj key value)
  "In @var{obj}'s property list, set the property named @var{key} to @var{value}."
  (set-object-properties! obj (assq-set! (object-properties obj) key value)))

(export object-properties
        set-object-properties!
        object-property
        set-object-property!)

Good idea?

        Neil

* Re: Remove objprop.c from libguile?
@ 2002-03-15 21:32 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-03-15 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> While documenting `make-object-property', I noticed that we could (in
> HEAD CVS) remove objprop.c completely and replace it by the following
> compatibility definitions (possibly deprecated):
>
> [...]
>
> Good idea?

Yes, very good!

* Re: Remove objprop.c from libguile?
@ 2002-03-15 21:35 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-03-15 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> While documenting `make-object-property', I noticed that we could (in
> HEAD CVS) remove objprop.c completely and replace it by the following
> compatibility definitions (possibly deprecated):

Regarding deprecation: yes, I think we should deprecate the old
interface.

* Re: Remove objprop.c from libguile?
@ 2002-03-17 14:49   ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2002-03-17 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development

    Marius> Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:
    >> While documenting `make-object-property', I noticed that we could (in
    >> HEAD CVS) remove objprop.c completely and replace it by the following
    >> compatibility definitions (possibly deprecated):
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> Good idea?

    Marius> Yes, very good!

Unfortunately, I just realized that it's not quite so simple as this,
because we'd also be removing a set of C interfaces without any
deprecation.

Instead, we should probably deprecate (in 1.8) the whole of objprop.c
in its current form, and remove it in 1.10.  In 1.10, we could include
my Scheme equivalents as a compatibility module, or we could just
include them as an FAQ answer or as part of the manual.

        Neil

[When we reach a firm conclusion on this, I'll add a TODO item and a
summary in devel, so we don't forget.]

* Re: Remove objprop.c from libguile?
@ 2002-03-20 22:06     ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-03-20 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> Instead, we should probably deprecate (in 1.8) the whole of objprop.c
> in its current form, and remove it in 1.10.

Even better!

(Sorry, I'm a bit unfocused, which is double bad given my recent
authority stunt...)

* Re: Remove objprop.c from libguile?
@ 2002-04-03  8:09       ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-04-03  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: neil, guile-devel

   From: Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de>
   Date: 20 Mar 2002 23:06:56 +0100

   > Instead, we should probably deprecate (in 1.8) the whole of objprop.c
   > in its current form, and remove it in 1.10.

   Even better!

and best if some kind of statement can be recorded on when (and why)
deprecation of this is to result in removal.  version name can be used
if a version is completely specified (at its interface), a concurrent
task unlikely to be fulfilled until the moment of release (so sez hw
dudes).

it behooves us to define 1.6+ feature sets (lists of positive attributes
(rather than negative attributes like "no longer has objprop.c")), so
that when we say "1.10 for removal" it is possible to correlate further
up the chain to "make things better", e.g.:

 - make things better
   - provide unified property management	;; also a "feature"
     - simplify API
       - add new stuff
       - remove old stuff			;; bye bye objprop.c

 - 1.10
   - features
     - unified property management

 - bye-bye
   - objprop.c -- 1.10

if we don't record these things more formally than m.l. traffic, some
tool will have to dig archives later, led around by a human (blech).

thi