* Cleanup mark-during-GC debug checks.
@ 2008-09-09 14:39 hanwenn
From: hanwenn @ 2008-09-09 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hanwenn; +Cc: guile-devel

Reviewers: hanwenn,

Message:
Hello guile devel,

please go to

http://codereview.appspot.com/4847

to review this patch.

I hope you like it; thanks!

Please review this at http://codereview.appspot.com/4847

Affected files:
   M libguile/__scm.h
   M libguile/gc-mark.c
   M libguile/gc.c
   M libguile/gc.h
   M libguile/inline.h

* Re: Cleanup mark-during-GC debug checks.
@ 2008-09-09 17:34 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2008-09-09 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello!

hanwenn@gmail.com writes:

> Reviewers: hanwenn,
>
> Message:
> Hello guile devel,
>
> please go to
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/4847
>
> to review this patch.
>

> I hope you like it; thanks!

A couple of notes:

  1. I don't want to use a web interface to review code.  Most free
     software projects use email in one form or another, which I find
     convenient.  Having patches in-lined is optimal IMO.

  2. I don't want to have a Google account.

Thus, I'll comment on the patch here.

  * I'd name the macro `SCM_DEBUG_MARK_PHASE' rather, as it sounds mot
    idiomatic (but I'm not a native speaker).

  * Use "static const char msg[] = ...".

Other than that, I'm OK to commit it.

Thanks,
Ludo'.

* Re: Cleanup mark-during-GC debug checks.
@ 2008-09-09 18:15   ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2008-09-09 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-devel

On Tue 09 Sep 2008 19:34, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>   1. I don't want to use a web interface to review code.  Most free
>      software projects use email in one form or another, which I find
>      convenient.  Having patches in-lined is optimal IMO.

Me neither. OTOH a web front-end is also nice. Bundle-buggy seems to be
what I want:

    http://code.aaronbentley.com/bundlebuggy/

But we'd have to hack it to do git.

>   2. I don't want to have a Google account.

Me neither.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: Cleanup mark-during-GC debug checks.
@ 2008-09-10  1:13   ` Han-Wen Nienhuys
From: Han-Wen Nienhuys @ 2008-09-10  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Ludovic Courtès escreveu:
> Hello!
>
> hanwenn@gmail.com writes:
>
>> Reviewers: hanwenn,
>>
>> Message:
>> Hello guile devel,
>>
>> please go to
>>
>> http://codereview.appspot.com/4847
>>
>> to review this patch.
>>

>> I hope you like it; thanks!
>
> A couple of notes:
>
>   1. I don't want to use a web interface to review code.  Most free
>      software projects use email in one form or another, which I find
>      convenient.  Having patches in-lined is optimal IMO.

My experience is that a web interface (which tracks different versions of
the same patch) is a lot easier when it is a major change with lots of
revisions.

In general, I find cutting & pasting patches into emails clumsy and error
prone.  In general, git is much better suited for sending patches around.

>   2. I don't want to have a Google account.
>
> Thus, I'll comment on the patch here.
>
>   * I'd name the macro `SCM_DEBUG_MARK_PHASE' rather, as it sounds mot
>     idiomatic (but I'm not a native speaker).

It's rather the reverse: ensuring that the non-mark phase is correct (in
not having mark calls), but I couldn't think of a good name.

>   * Use "static const char msg[] = ...".

done.

--
 Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwen@xs4all.nl - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen

* Re: Cleanup mark-during-GC debug checks.
@ 2008-09-10  7:36     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2008-09-10  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi,

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès escreveu:

>>   1. I don't want to use a web interface to review code.  Most free
>>      software projects use email in one form or another, which I find
>>      convenient.  Having patches in-lined is optimal IMO.
>
> My experience is that a web interface (which tracks different versions of
> the same patch) is a lot easier when it is a major change with lots of
> revisions.

It's really a matter of taste.  I prefer email and/or topic branch in
Git.

>>   * I'd name the macro `SCM_DEBUG_MARK_PHASE' rather, as it sounds mot
>>     idiomatic (but I'm not a native speaker).
>
> It's rather the reverse: ensuring that the non-mark phase is correct (in
> not having mark calls), but I couldn't think of a good name.

My comment was about "marking phase" vs. "mark phase".

>>   * Use "static const char msg[] = ...".
>
> done.

OK, feel free to push!

Hope we'll keep compiling with `SCM_DEBUG_MARK_PHASE == 1'!  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo'.

* Re: Cleanup mark-during-GC debug checks.
@ 2008-09-10 19:12     ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2008-09-10 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hanwen; +Cc: guile-devel

On Wed 10 Sep 2008 03:13, Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@xs4all.nl> writes:

> My experience is that a web interface (which tracks different versions of
> the same patch) is a lot easier when it is a major change with lots of
> revisions.

I can definitely see the value in this. But to take discussions away
from the list probably isn't the way to go ;)

> In general, I find cutting & pasting patches into emails clumsy and error
> prone.  In general, git is much better suited for sending patches around.

Yep, to make a git-request-pull message is easier, can just pipe to a
mailer.

Seriously, git needs bundle buggy! http://bundlebuggy.aaronbentley.com/

Piling on a bikeshed,

Andy