* new dependency?
@ 2009-06-03 13:32 Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2009-06-03 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

my autobuild choked with:

  configure: error: GNU libunistring is required, please install it.

and I don't recall seeing any discussion about this.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 193 bytes --]

* Re: new dependency?
@ 2009-06-03 23:15 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-06-03 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: guile-devel

Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:

> my autobuild choked with:
>
>   configure: error: GNU libunistring is required, please install it.
>
> and I don't recall seeing any discussion about this.

Hi Greg,

It was mentioned here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/8538.

Even Debian (stable) doesn't have a package for this yet, so we're all
in the `./configure; make; sudo make install' boat for now.  But it
seems clear that using libunistring is the right long term thing.

Of course, if it causes you any serious obstacle, please say.

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: new dependency?
@ 2009-06-03 23:37   ` dsmich
From: dsmich @ 2009-06-03 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel, Neil Jerram; +Cc: guile-devel

---- Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> wrote:
> Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:
>
> > my autobuild choked with:
> >
> >   configure: error: GNU libunistring is required, please install it.
> >
> > and I don't recall seeing any discussion about this.
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> It was mentioned here:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/8538.
>
> Even Debian (stable) doesn't have a package for this yet,

You probably meant Debian Unstable?  Because it's not there yet either!

-Dale

* Re: new dependency?
@ 2009-06-05  0:03     ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2009-06-05  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsmich; +Cc: guile-devel, Neil Jerram

<dsmich@roadrunner.com> writes:

> ---- Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> wrote:
>> Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:
>>
>> > my autobuild choked with:
>> >
>> >   configure: error: GNU libunistring is required, please install it.
>> >
>> > and I don't recall seeing any discussion about this.
>>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> It was mentioned here:
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/8538.
>>
>> Even Debian (stable) doesn't have a package for this yet,
>
> You probably meant Debian Unstable?  Because it's not there yet either!

I see - I didn't notice that because the subject line didn't say "new
dependency".  I don't think it's in pkgsrc either.  I see only 0.9 on
the libunistring home page, 27 May 2009, with no previous ones.  So my
immediate reaction is that this is nowhere near mature enough to depend
on, but a) I don't know if that's fair and b) importing it does seem
worse.

@ 2009-06-06 13:11       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-06-06 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi Greg,

Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:

> I see - I didn't notice that because the subject line didn't say "new
> dependency".  I don't think it's in pkgsrc either.  I see only 0.9 on
> the libunistring home page, 27 May 2009, with no previous ones.  So my
> immediate reaction is that this is nowhere near mature enough to depend
> on, but a) I don't know if that's fair and b) importing it does seem
> worse.

GNU libunistring uses code that's been in Gnulib for a while now and
used by several GNU packages.  FWIW, <unistr.h> and other files mention
2001 as the first copyright year.

Thanks,
Ludo'.