* Modernizing autotools and assuming C89 C library
       [not found] <YyQHmtaArxJEq9RI.ref@spikycactus.com>
@ 2022-09-16  5:20 ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2022-09-16  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello Guile Devel,

I pushed a git branch: wip-modernize-autotools.

It removes some obsolete tests by presuming we at least have a
C89-compliant C library. It also uses LT_INIT for libtool, and removes
some macros that autoconf has deprecated.

I thought about continuing on by presuming that we have a
C99-compliant C library, but, I figured I'd stop at C89/C90 and touch
base first.

Since most of these header and function tests are for ancient or odd
architectures, I tested it on Cygwin and MinGW. (Note that the main
branch compiles on MinGW but doesn't run.  So I only tested that it
compiles.)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike Gran

* Re: Modernizing autotools and assuming C89 C library
@ 2022-09-30  3:16   ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2022-09-30  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 10:20:26PM -0700, Mike Gran wrote:
> Hello Guile Devel,
>
> I pushed a git branch: wip-modernize-autotools.
>
> It removes some obsolete tests by presuming we at least have a
> C89-compliant C library. It also uses LT_INIT for libtool, and removes
> some macros that autoconf has deprecated.

I know patches like this are unlikely to spark enthusiasm
or review because it is autotools, but, I think presuming a C89
C library is a safe bet.

I'll wait a couple more weeks and if I don't hear anything to the
contrary, I'll push it to main.

Respectfully,

@ 2022-10-12 20:27     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-10-12 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel, Mike Gran

Hi Mike,

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> skribis:

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 10:20:26PM -0700, Mike Gran wrote:
>> Hello Guile Devel,
>>
>> I pushed a git branch: wip-modernize-autotools.
>>
>> It removes some obsolete tests by presuming we at least have a
>> C89-compliant C library. It also uses LT_INIT for libtool, and removes
>> some macros that autoconf has deprecated.

Sounds good!

> I know patches like this are unlikely to spark enthusiasm
> or review because it is autotools, but, I think presuming a C89
> C library is a safe bet.

No no, I actually find it quite exciting!  :-)

Seriously, it’s good to see old cruft vanish.  I’ve looked at the
commits on that branch and they all LGTM.

Regarding <time.h>, we’ve actually been using Gnulib’s headers, so most
likely the difference wasn’t relevant anymore.

So: LGTM!

It would be good to have some testing on OSes other than GNU/Linux
eventually (I’m looking at you, Greg ;-)).

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Modernizing autotools and assuming C89 C library
@ 2022-10-12 21:56       ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2022-10-12 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Mike Gran, guile-devel