* Re: Guile 1.5.6 beta available for testing.
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.21.0203112051530.2317-100000@ariel.lan.telltronics.org>
@ 2002-03-12 16:19 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-03-12 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Tell <tell@telltronics.org> writes:

> I found two workarounds that involve hacking the libtool script.
> Both get libtool to link libguile into libguilereadline as
> "/usr/guile-1.5.6/lib/libguile.so" instead of "-lguile". Even though
> -L/usr/lib remains on the gcc command line, this does the right thing.

Another possibility might be for us to just add a ./overrides/gcc and
then in our Makefiles export PATH=`pwd`/overrides:${PATH}.  Inside
this gcc override script, we could strip out any offending
-L\s*/usr/lib(/)? and -I\s*/usr/include(/)? occurrences before
calling.

  export PATH=`filter-out-parent-dir ${PATH}`
  exec "$@"

Ugly, but if -L /usr/lib and -I /usr/include are the problem, this
should fix it.  Of course we'd have to symlink to cc, etc. as well for
non-gcc platforms, and this won't help if they don't all use -L and
-I :/

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: Guile 1.5.6 beta available for testing.
       [not found] <m38z8xly2v.fsf@appel.lilypond.org>
@ 2002-03-12 16:23 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-03-12 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> writes:

> Special effort has been made to make Guile compile on mingw32, but
> sadly, this breaks compilation under Cygwin.
>
> Someone failed to include the patch I sent for guile-1.5.4, that is
> needed to make guile compile under Cygwin.  See:
>
>     http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/guile-devel/2002-February/004562.html
>
> It applies cleanly to the guile-1.5.6 tarball.

Thanks very much.  I'd like to wait until the people more familiar
with this particular issue can check the patch out before we apply it.
So this fix may not make it into 1.5.7, but presuming everything's
fine, it should make it into 1.5.8.

Thanks again.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

@ 2002-03-15 20:54 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-03-15 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Tell <tell@telltronics.org> writes:

> As near as I can tell by wading through the libtool script and sh -x
> output, libtool adds "-L/usr/lib" because libguile.la says that libguile
> needs /usr/lib/libltdl.la, and /usr/lib/libltdl.a says that libltdl has
> its further dependendencies specified as "-ldl" (instead of as an absolute
> path to a libdl.la?)

Ahh, that makes sense.  That is, it explains what you are seeing, but
it certainly looks wrong.

> I'm temporarily joining the libtool list to see if any of the
> experts can shed some light.  It definitely looks like libtool is
> doing the wrong thing, or at least a less correct thing.

Yes, I'll listen in to the discussion on the libtool list...

@ 2002-03-15 20:57 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-03-15 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jan Nieuwenhuizen, guile-devel

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> writes:

> > We are pleased to annouce the availability of Guile 1.5.6 for testing.
> >
> > The 1.5.X series is a BETA series, intended only for testing, so
> > please don't put it into a distribution or anything similar.  Once
> > we've hammered out any serious bugs, we'll make the stable release of
> > 1.6.1.
> >
> > You can find the file here:
> >
> >  ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guile/guile-1.5.6.tar.gz
>
> Special effort has been made to make Guile compile on mingw32, but
> sadly, this breaks compilation under Cygwin.
>
> Someone failed to include the patch I sent for guile-1.5.4, that is
> needed to make guile compile under Cygwin.  See:
>
>     http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/guile-devel/2002-February/004562.html
>
> It applies cleanly to the guile-1.5.6 tarball.

Stefan, are you happy with this?