From: Blake Shaw <blake@nonconstructivism.com>
To: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
Cc: Olivier Dion <olivier.dion@polymtl.ca>,
	Tim Van den Langenbergh <tmt_vdl@gmx.com>,
	guile-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Maintenance and future of Guile
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 04:05:00 +0700	[thread overview]

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> Olivier Dion via "Developers list for Guile, the GNU extensibility
> library" <guile-devel@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> irc is good for me, and of course e-mail :)
>>>
>>> but for out-of-the-box task management tools, are we all emacs
>>> and/or org-mode users
>>> here? we could agree on a set of features for an org document that
>>> ensures
>>> we all sync consistentally across configurations, and then manage
>>> everything on a
>>> branch of the guile repo. this way as we're researching the codebase, we
>>> can post links directly to file line numbers, allowing easy
>>> navigation.
>>
>> I'm fullstack emacs, but I'm not sure if org-mode would be the best
>> management tool.  I'm using it for my personnal task, but I don't know
>> if it applies well to a team.

I get what you're saying, but considering we are an informal team of
emacs users, I think it could make sense. Otherwise we'll either all
need to get in the habit of using some new task-management platform
(easier said than done), or someone will need someone to step-up as an
"Agile Coach" or whatever to make sure we all gently settle into it.

If we're all dedicated emacsians, it could be as simple as setting up
cron jobs to pull at regular intervals, and could shed some insight onto
"guix native" development and its challenges.
> I’m using it for my personal tasks, too, but I think when syncing the
> file across people and including it in the agenda, that gives a pretty
> good team management.
>
> I got reports of people using my kanban.el for team management.

Nice you made that! All the more reason for use to give it a shot I
think. This could give you some nice insight into where it succeeds and
fails, as well.
> I’m not sure whether full org-mode is the best for Guile development,
> but it does work pretty well, and I think it would be worth a try.
>
> We can ket all kinds of useful public statistics by publishing a static
> site from the org documents.
Very true. I don't know any other tool that makes all of this easy.

--
“In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni”