* ARGH version.texi
@ 2002-08-23  0:21 Han-Wen Nienhuys
From: Han-Wen Nienhuys @ 2002-08-23  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Where the fuck is version.texi supposed  to come from?

	make[1]: Entering directory `/home/hanwen/usr/src/savannah/official-guile/guile/guile-core/doc/ref'
	cd . \
	  && /bin/sh /home/hanwen/usr/src/savannah/official-guile/guile/guile-core/missing --run makeinfo   \
	       `echo guile.texi | sed 's,.*/,,'`
	guile.texi:50: @include `version.texi': No such file or directory.
	./data-rep.texi:1499: warning: `(' follows defined name `scm_make_smob_type_mfpe' instead of whitespace.
	./data-rep.texi:1545: war

i've already tried running automake, running configure.

ARGH

Han-Wen

(exasperated. )

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   hanwen@cs.uu.nl   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen

* Re: ARGH version.texi
@ 2002-08-26 21:53 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2002-08-26 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

    Han-Wen> Where the fuck is version.texi supposed  to come from?

automake generates rules in Makefile.in and Makefile to create
version.texi, like this:

$(srcdir)/version.texi:  $(srcdir)/stamp-vti
	@:
$(srcdir)/stamp-vti: guile.texi $(top_srcdir)/configure.in
	@(set `$(SHELL) $(srcdir)/mdate-sh $(srcdir)/guile.texi`; \
	echo "@set UPDATED $$1 $$2 $$3"; \
	echo "@set UPDATED-MONTH $$2 $$3"; \
	echo "@set EDITION $(VERSION)"; \
	echo "@set VERSION $(VERSION)") > vti.tmp
	@cmp -s vti.tmp $(srcdir)/version.texi \
	  || (echo "Updating $(srcdir)/version.texi"; \
	      cp vti.tmp $(srcdir)/version.texi)
	-@rm -f vti.tmp
	@cp $(srcdir)/version.texi $@

But I think it only does this if you configured with
--enable-maintainer-mode.  Perhaps that is your problem?

        Neil

* Re: ARGH version.texi
@ 2002-08-26 21:58 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-08-26 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@cs.uu.nl> writes:

> Where the fuck is version.texi supposed  to come from?

It's generated by the Makefile, but in a strange way.  Try removing
stamp-vti.

> (exasperated. )
(feeling better? :-)

* Re: ARGH version.texi
@ 2002-08-27  4:47 Lynn Winebarger
From: Lynn Winebarger @ 2002-08-27  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 26 August 2002 16:53, Neil Jerram wrote:

>     Han-Wen> Where the fuck is version.texi supposed  to come from?
>
> automake generates rules in Makefile.in and Makefile to create
> version.texi, like this:
> [deletia]
>
> But I think it only does this if you configured with
> --enable-maintainer-mode.  Perhaps that is your problem?

       Back around March or May, I had similar trouble (see bug-guile).
Turned out running autogen twice would the fix the problem.  But I
did configure with --enable-maintainer-mode.

Lynn

* Re: ARGH version.texi
@ 2002-08-27 15:39 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-08-27 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org> writes:

>> But I think it only does this if you configured with
>> --enable-maintainer-mode.  Perhaps that is your problem?
>
>        Back around March or May, I had similar trouble (see bug-guile).
> Turned out running autogen twice would the fix the problem.  But I
> did configure with --enable-maintainer-mode.

And is this problem with the tarfile or just CVS?  (wondering if
*I'll* need to run autogen twice before make dist...)

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: ARGH version.texi
@ 2002-08-27 15:42   ` Lynn Winebarger
From: Lynn Winebarger @ 2002-08-27 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 10:39, Rob Browning wrote:
> Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org> writes:
>
> >> But I think it only does this if you configured with
> >> --enable-maintainer-mode.  Perhaps that is your problem?
> >
> >        Back around March or May, I had similar trouble (see bug-guile).
> > Turned out running autogen twice would the fix the problem.  But I
> > did configure with --enable-maintainer-mode.
>
> And is this problem with the tarfile or just CVS?  (wondering if
> *I'll* need to run autogen twice before make dist...)

    I think it's only when you check out a fresh tree and autogen hasn't been
run in it before. Autogen is idempotent after the second run (rather than
after the first run, which would be correct behaviour).

Lynn