* :export vs. define-public
@ 2002-09-05  0:41 Tom Lord
From: Tom Lord @ 2002-09-05  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Those two approaches (:export vs. define-public) to public v. private
module contours are isomorphic, so what's the big deal?

`define-public' supports "locality of editting": everything you need
to know about a definition is collected right there under your editor
cursor.  There's no need to remember to change some other part of the
file.

Extension languages should optimize for interactive use.  Thus,
locality of editting is an important consideration.

Historically, I suspect that some module system changes made after the
Cygnus releases were motivated in part because they made the Guile
module system look more like S48 or some other famous schemes.  And as
we all know, those other systems reek of the scent of perfection (or
at least, a perfection-style cologne).  But that's just speculation,
on my part.  I'm aware that module system changes were originally
argued (vaguely) for in terms of support for compilation.

mentioning-part-of-the-list-of-things-i-don't-like-about-guile-other
than-#f/()-but-that-might-be-usefully-rethought,

-t