* Trouble building 1.8.x
@ 2006-12-31  1:06 Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2006-12-31  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm struggling to rebuild 1.8.x after a cvs update.

I installed the latest automake (1.10), autoconf (2.61), libtool
(1.5.22) and gettext (0.16) into /usr/local, but I still find that
./autogen.sh fails:

neil@laruns:~/guile-cvs-1.8/guile/guile-core$ ./grebuild
+ make -k distclean
make: *** No rule to make target `distclean'.
+ ./autogen.sh ../workbook
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.in: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I guile-config
autoreconf: configure.in: tracing
configure.in:705: warning: AM_INTL_SUBDIR is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
aclocal.m4:378: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is expanded from...
configure.in:705: the top level
autoreconf: configure.in: adding subdirectory guile-readline to autoreconf
autoreconf: Entering directory `guile-readline'
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force
autoreconf: running: libtoolize --copy --force
autoreconf: running: /usr/local/bin/autoconf --force
autoreconf: running: /usr/local/bin/autoheader --force
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
autoreconf: Leaving directory `guile-readline'
autoreconf: configure.in: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
configure.in:705: warning: AM_INTL_SUBDIR is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
aclocal.m4:378: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is expanded from...
configure.in:705: the top level
configure:35800: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INTL_SUBDIR
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/local/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

Any ideas?

Regards,
     Neil

* Re: Trouble building 1.8.x
@ 2007-01-01 18:11 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2007-01-01 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> I'm struggling to rebuild 1.8.x after a cvs update.
>
> I installed the latest automake (1.10), autoconf (2.61), libtool
> (1.5.22) and gettext (0.16) into /usr/local, but I still find that
> ./autogen.sh fails:

 [...]

> configure:35800: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INTL_SUBDIR
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> autoreconf: /usr/local/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

I tried upgrading m4 also, to v1.4.8, per
http://www.mail-archive.com/m4-patches@gnu.org/msg00438.html, but
still no joy.

Regards,
     Neil

* Re: Trouble building 1.8.x
@ 2007-01-01 22:40 ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2007-01-01 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> + ./autogen.sh ../workbook

I've never used that. :)

> autoreconf

Nor that.

> configure:35800: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INTL_SUBDIR
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.

Sounds strange.  As a wild guess though, check you haven't got any
symlinked .m4 files in the guile-config dir (or wherever) which have
become broken by upgrading automake and/or gettext.  That bit me on my
last update, I fixed it by deleting them.

(I think it was gettextize that made those links for me.  I suspect
that's a throwback to a time when all .m4 files were supposed to be
both in the dist as well as in aclocal.m4.  I'd be surprised if anyone
has ever used either mechanism for a reconf though.)

* Re: Trouble building 1.8.x
@ 2007-01-02  6:58   ` Heikki Lindholm
From: Heikki Lindholm @ 2007-01-02  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development, Neil Jerram

Kevin Ryde kirjoitti:
> Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:
>
>>+ ./autogen.sh ../workbook
>

> I've never used that. :)
>

>>autoreconf
>

> Nor that.
>

>>configure:35800: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INTL_SUBDIR
>>      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>>      See the Autoconf documentation.
>

> Sounds strange.  As a wild guess though, check you haven't got any
> symlinked .m4 files in the guile-config dir (or wherever) which have
> become broken by upgrading automake and/or gettext.  That bit me on my
> last update, I fixed it by deleting them.
>
> (I think it was gettextize that made those links for me.  I suspect
> that's a throwback to a time when all .m4 files were supposed to be
> both in the dist as well as in aclocal.m4.  I'd be surprised if anyone
> has ever used either mechanism for a reconf though.)

I also failed miserably at generating the configure scripts. So, how
about telling THE mechanism that people are using to do a reconf?

-- Heikki Lindholm

* Re: Trouble building 1.8.x
@ 2007-01-03 22:46     ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2007-01-03 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development, Neil Jerram

Heikki Lindholm <holindho@cs.helsinki.fi> writes:

> I also failed miserably at generating the configure scripts. So, how
> about telling THE mechanism that people are using to do a reconf?

I usually just go "aclocal", then remember it needs "-I guile-config",
then remember it also needs either libtoolize or gettextize or both,
then I undo some of the damage^H^H^H^H excess changes gettextize made,
then it should be autoconf and automake.  Then I see automake's silly
C include file dependency tracking wasn't disabled by the project so I
re-run "automake -i" and hope that setting sticks. :-)

>From a cvs update it's normally enough to have
--enable-maintainer-mode, the makefiles then re-run the configury as
necessary.  (Sometimes it won't recognise a new directory - new
directories are pretty rare though - and you have to run
./config.status explicitly, or do a fresh ./configure run.)

I can see why all that farting about would make people want an
autogen.sh, but I've rarely known one to do much good, or even make it
clear what it is actually doing :-(.