"Julian Graham" writes: >> > Let me know if I've missed anything. >> >> I don't think so, and I plan to apply this very soon. I've found a >> reliable recipe for reproducing the critical section problem: if a >> scm_i_gc call is added to make_jmpbuf (), like this: > > > Excellent -- I'll let you know if I can think of a deterministic way > to reproduce that from user code. Thanks. I've decided to give up on this for now, and just check in the fix. I was playing with code like the attached patch - which I think is already more effort than it's worth spending to be able to regressibly test this :-) - and then I found that even this doesn't work reliably. To be precise, it hangs every time when run under GDB, but not when run outside GDB. So I think the wise course is to accept that there are some things we can't write tests for.