There is a neat command-line option in GHCi (i.e., :!). It allows to run programs from the interpreter. For example: $ ghci Prelude> :! echo foo foo I decided to add a similar option to Guile. I've attached my attempt. I wasn't sure which version (branch) to use; I used 2.0.7. Also, I didn't bother to really check the code; just tested it a couple of times. I'll do it before I send the output of 'git format-patch'. By the way, should I assign my copyright prior to that? (I'm OK with that, but it may take a while. And where can I get the form?) It seems to work: scheme@(guile-user)> ,run echo foo foo scheme@(guile-user)> ,run ls -lh [...] scheme@(guile-user)> ,! echo bar baz 42 bar baz 42 Also, I'll try to handle the following cases more gently: scheme@(guile-user)> ,! While executing meta-command: ERROR: Wrong number of arguments to # scheme@(guile-user)> ,! foo While executing meta-command: ERROR: In procedure system*: No such file or directory So, what do you think?