From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>
To: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
Cc: Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com>, Guile Devel <guile-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Logo baseline
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 09:14:02 +0100	[thread overview]

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> What’s about you?  What’s Guile to you?  :-)

Guile is the force that binds GNU together.  Guile was intended to
extend (all) GNU programs, truly empowering the user.  You made Guile
into a great language for writing programs.  Now Guile even creates a
coherent GNU System, through Guix.

Moving from Python to Guile was a gentle path towards a more functional
approach of writing programs which reduces accidental complexity and
fits much better with how my mind works.

What puzzles me is the long road it took me to reach this point, more
than 20 years via C, C++ and Python.  When I look at GNU projects like
Glibc or GCC moving from awk/sed/perl to Python for scripts instead of
Guile I can't help thinking: Oh my, they are where I was 20 years ago;
what a long path we still have before us.

Greetings,
janneke

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org