From: Evan Prodromou <evan@glug.org>
Subject: Re: Stable branch will freeze.
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:12:05 -0600	[thread overview]

    MV>  We need to be much more rigorous about really keeping the
    MV> stable branch stable.  From now on, only release critical,
    MV> uncontroversial fixes will be allowed.  I intend to be firm on
    MV> this.  We are not getting anywhere without restraining us from
    MV> putting new stuff into the stable branch.

    MV> Of course, it is already controversial exactly what is release
    MV> critical.  I'll just be deciding this. :)

So, ummm... I definitely agree that Guile 1.5.x is at a time when it's
really important to hit a release, and that feature enhancements need
to stop.

However, I kind of agree with Thi that there's some process that needs
some work here. I'd recommend that you maybe ask one of the people
who've been concentrating on this release to mark the BUGS file -- or
another file, or a daturbase or whatever -- with a criticality level.
Make sure that all important and reported bugs are in there, and that
all bugs are marked, and that *you* agree with the criticality.

Having a document means that everyone can see what needs to be worked
on, what hasn't been identified yet, etc. People can see the release
coming closer as the list of bugs in the document gets smaller. And,
finally, when the RC bugs in the list are gone, people have some
warm-fuzzy feelings that perhaps they haven't rushed the release out
the door.

SO, to reiterate: delegate bug-tracking duties to release managers,
and use a document to back up the tracking.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan@glug.org