* C API for goops
@ 2002-08-09  9:51 Mikael Djurfeldt
From: Mikael Djurfeldt @ 2002-08-09  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel, djurfeldt

What's the status on the C API for goops?  I'm thinking on the API for
specifying and creating Goops objects and defining and invoking
methods from C code .

Has anyone looked at it yet?

* Re: C API for goops
@ 2002-08-09 11:19 ` rm
From: rm @ 2002-08-09 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Marius Vollmer, guile-devel

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 11:51:00AM +0200, Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:
> What's the status on the C API for goops?  I'm thinking on the API for
> specifying and creating Goops objects and defining and invoking
> methods from C code .

Are you thinking about it or do you intent to work on it :-)))
It would be _really_ nice to be able to provide goops objetcs
and generic methods from the C side.

 Ralf Mattes

> Has anyone looked at it yet?

* Re: C API for goops
@ 2002-08-09 13:34   ` Mikael Djurfeldt
From: Mikael Djurfeldt @ 2002-08-09 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Mikael Djurfeldt, Marius Vollmer, guile-devel

rm@fabula.de writes:

> On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 11:51:00AM +0200, Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:
> > What's the status on the C API for goops?  I'm thinking on the API for
> > specifying and creating Goops objects and defining and invoking
> > methods from C code .
>
> Are you thinking about it or do you intent to work on it :-)))
> It would be _really_ nice to be able to provide goops objetcs
> and generic methods from the C side.

Well, let's say I *need* it, or will need it soon.  Can't promise
anything, though.  (I already promised to fix the apply generic MOP,
and that is still not finished.  BTW, some people seem to think that
the GOOPS method invocation optimizations broke the MOP.  The truth is
that it never has worked in Guile.  This fact should have been
documented---shame on me.)

* Re: C API for goops
@ 2002-08-10 11:36   ` Andreas Rottmann
From: Andreas Rottmann @ 2002-08-10 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Mikael Djurfeldt, Marius Vollmer, guile-devel

    rm> wrote:
    >> What's the status on the C API for goops?  I'm thinking on the
    >> API for specifying and creating Goops objects and defining and
    >> invoking methods from C code .

    rm> Are you thinking about it or do you intent to work on it :-)))
    rm> It would be _really_ nice to be able to provide goops objetcs
    rm> and generic methods from the C side.

This is already possible i have quite some code lying around that does

* method creation
* generic function creation
* class creation

and probably some more. It took my quite some time to figure it all
out (mostly by studying the goops C code) and it probably is not very
clean (depends on GOOPS internals) in some places. However, it works,
but is not very useful due to the goops-1 bug :-(

You can have a look most of the code at [1]. Note that it is C++. YMMV.

[1] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ucxx/yehia/ucxx/languages/guile/guile-script.cc?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Dru@ICQ        | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at