* 1.6.0: major soname version decremented?
@ 2002-09-20 11:45 Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2002-09-20 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

While preparing the Guile 1.6.0 release for Cygwin, I found that 1.6.0
produces libguile.so.12.3.0, where Guile 1.5.6 was already at
libguile.so.14.1.0.  This means we'll be getting libguile12 packages
replacing libguile14 packages.

Forgive my ignorance, but shouldn't these version numbers increase
only, with newer releases?

Greetings,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter

* Re: 1.6.0: major soname version decremented?
@ 2002-09-20 21:17 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-09-20 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> writes:

> While preparing the Guile 1.6.0 release for Cygwin, I found that 1.6.0
> produces libguile.so.12.3.0, where Guile 1.5.6 was already at
> libguile.so.14.1.0.  This means we'll be getting libguile12 packages
> replacing libguile14 packages.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but shouldn't these version numbers increase
> only, with newer releases?

Sure, but the 1.5.X releases were just beta releases and shouldn't
have been used publically, and so we don't really make any guarantees
wrt sonames.  i.e. we may break binary compatibility without bumping
the sonames at times, etc.

The reason for the decrement is that Thien-Thi asked that I add some
(libtool) "AGE" to the libraries and that seemed reasonable so I did.
This decremented the major number.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: 1.6.0: major soname version decremented?
@ 2002-09-23 11:32   ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2002-09-23 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:

>> Forgive my ignorance, but shouldn't these version numbers increase
>> only, with newer releases?
>
> Sure, but the 1.5.X releases were just beta releases and shouldn't
> have been used publically,

Yes, I know.  But 1.5.x has been stable for almost a year; that's what
we've been using for LilyPond, and that's where (Cygwin compatibility)
development was merged.

> The reason for the decrement is that Thien-Thi asked that I add some
> (libtool) "AGE" to the libraries and that seemed reasonable so I did.
> This decremented the major number.

Aahh, the wonders of libtool.  You're not telling me that libtool is
in control, rather than the developers? ;-)

Greetings,
Jan.

--

@ 2002-09-23 14:06     ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-09-23 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> writes:

> Yes, I know.  But 1.5.x has been stable for almost a year; that's what
> we've been using for LilyPond, and that's where (Cygwin compatibility)
> development was merged.

But as long as LilyPond didn't deploy a version publically using
1.5.X, then I wouldn't expect there to be a problem...

>> The reason for the decrement is that Thien-Thi asked that I add some
>> (libtool) "AGE" to the libraries and that seemed reasonable so I did.
>> This decremented the major number.
>
> Aahh, the wonders of libtool.  You're not telling me that libtool is
> in control, rather than the developers? ;-)

Nope.  I knew it would decrease the major number, I just didn't think
it would matter.  If this *is* in fact a big problem, please explain,
and we'll figure out what should be done about it.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: 1.6.0: major soname version decremented?
@ 2002-09-23 14:15       ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
       [not found]         ` <p05100300b9b4e79b92b9@[128.174.103.145]>
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2002-09-23 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:

> But as long as LilyPond didn't deploy a version publically using
> 1.5.X, then I wouldn't expect there to be a problem...

Yes, I did for Cygwin.  I expect no big problems, though.

> Nope.  I knew it would decrease the major number, I just didn't think
> it would matter.  If this *is* in fact a big problem, please explain,
> and we'll figure out what should be done about it.

No, I think we'll be fine.  Cygwin now has an old libguile14, and a
newer libguile12 package.  By the time that we'll see a new libguile14
package it will get a higher version number than the old one, and the
old one will be replaced automatically.

Jan.

--

@ 2002-09-23 15:25         ` Rob Browning
       [not found]         ` <p05100300b9b4e79b92b9@[128.174.103.145]>
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-09-23 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> writes:

> Yes, I did for Cygwin.  I expect no big problems, though.

Naughty, naughty.  (No wonder we were hearing complaints about guile
being too unstable for LilyPond.) :>

>> Nope.  I knew it would decrease the major number, I just didn't think
>> it would matter.  If this *is* in fact a big problem, please explain,
>> and we'll figure out what should be done about it.
>
> No, I think we'll be fine.  Cygwin now has an old libguile14, and a
> newer libguile12 package.  By the time that we'll see a new libguile14
> package it will get a higher version number than the old one, and the
> old one will be replaced automatically.

OK, good.  Feel free to raise the issue again if this turns out to be
more serious.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

@ 2002-09-23 16:27           ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2002-09-23 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Rick Taube <taube@uiuc.edu> writes:

Hi Rick,

It seems that your mailserver is broken; below is reply I tried to
send you.

Jan.

From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@appel.lilypond.org>
Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
To: janneke@gnu.org
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:17:32 +0200

  taube@uiuc.edu
    SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<janneke@gnu.org>:
    host relay1.cso.uiuc.edu [128.174.5.119]: 550 5.0.0 spam not allowed

To: Rick Taube <taube@uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: 1.6.0: major soname version decremented?
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:17:28 +0200

Rick Taube <taube@uiuc.edu> writes:

> Hi, Ive been reading your postings re Guile and Cygwin with great
> interest. Ive just finished porting my music composition software
> (called Common Music) from Common Lisp/CLOS to Guile 1.6.0/GOOPS on
> linux. I would really like to have Common Music running in Guile
> under Windows as well! My question is: do you actually have Guile
> 1.6.0 ported to Windows?

That depends on how you look at it.  Guile is now part of the Cygwin
distribution, which is not quite the same as Windows proper.

> If so I would be grateful for any tips/pointers you can give me on
> how to do this!  Thanks for any info.

Visit http://cygwin.com for more information.  Cygwin gives you a
fairly complete unix-like environment for Windows.

Greetings,
Jan.