From: Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com>
To: Doug Evans <xdje42@gmail.com>
Cc: Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org>, guile-devel <guile-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Foreign objects facility
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 20:27:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi!

On Tue 29 Apr 2014 18:08, Doug Evans <xdje42@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi. fwiw, this is all great stuff (and welcome!), but I think it's in
> the wrong place in the docs.
> The issue comes up in multiple places, so I would write it ("it" being
> the general prose regarding issues with finalizers) once and refer to
> it from all the places that use finalizers.
> That would make this section shorter (more likely to be read) and
> *everywhere* that has to deal with finalizers benefits from far more
> easily finding all this great text.

Perhaps this text fragment was misinterpreted; the stable-2.0 docs have
been updated in git to the same thing, but the master HTML docs have
been pushed to the web site.  Note that in:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/master/guile.html/Programming-in-C.html#Programming-in-C

I've removed the tutorial-like section on smobs, and that later in the
API reference the SMOB documentation links to "Foreign Object Memory
Management" when discussing the pitfalls of finalizers.

Does that cover your needs?

http://wingolog.org/