* Adding srfi-30 comments.
@ 2002-09-03  5:18 Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-09-03  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Srfi-30's in final status,

  http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-30/srfi-30.html

so probably worth considering.  Should we just add support for this
and enable it by default?

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: Adding srfi-30 comments.
@ 2002-09-03 16:47 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-09-03 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:

> Srfi-30's in final status,
>
>   http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-30/srfi-30.html
>
> so probably worth considering.  Should we just add support for this
> and enable it by default?

Would we be compliant if we just extend the existing code that handles
#! !# to handle #| |# as well?  If so, I don't see why we shouldn't do
it right away.

* Re: Adding srfi-30 comments.
@ 2002-09-03 16:48   ` Ariel Rios
From: Ariel Rios @ 2002-09-03 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Rob Browning, guile-devel

On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 11:47, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:
>
> > Srfi-30's in final status,
> >
> >   http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-30/srfi-30.html
> >
> > so probably worth considering.  Should we just add support for this
> > and enable it by default?
>
> Would we be compliant if we just extend the existing code that handles
> #! !# to handle #| |# as well?  If so, I don't see why we shouldn't do
> it right away.

That should be really nice.

ariel

* Re: Adding srfi-30 comments.
@ 2002-09-03 18:14   ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-09-03 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> Would we be compliant if we just extend the existing code that handles
> #! !# to handle #| |# as well?  If so, I don't see why we shouldn't do
> it right away.

I'd have to do some testing to be sure.  The primary requirements seem
to be:

  - #| comments are visible to scheme as a single whitespace

  - an error is signaled if a closing is |# not found.

  - #| comments can be nested

  - R5RS <delimiter> is not extended so tokens, etc. must be separated
    from #| comments by a regular R5RS <delimiter>.  I presume this
    means that you want foo #|bar|#, not foo#|bar|#.

If our #! handling accmodates these requirements, then we're set,
though we might want to specify how #! and #| interact.  I'd be likely
to propose:

  - a multi-line comment started with #! must end with !#.
  - a multi-line comment started with #| must end with |#.
  - #! and #| comments may be nested.

and perhaps even

  - a #! multi-line comment is only permitted at the start of a scheme
    file.

though perhaps there are good reasons not to specify that...

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: Adding srfi-30 comments.
@ 2002-09-03 18:34     ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2002-09-03 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Marius Vollmer, guile-devel

Rob Browning wrote:

>   - #| comments can be nested

No, please.  Nested comments in C were removed for good
reason.  It's too confusing.  Editors are very good at
commenting out blocks of text, no need to muddy syntax
with another flavor of parenthesis.

* Re: Adding srfi-30 comments.
@ 2002-09-03 18:51       ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-09-03 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Marius Vollmer, guile-devel

Bruce Korb <bkorb@pacbell.net> writes:

> Rob Browning wrote:
>
>>   - #| comments can be nested
>
> No, please.  Nested comments in C were removed for good reason.
> It's too confusing.  Editors are very good at commenting out blocks
> of text, no need to muddy syntax with another flavor of parenthesis.

Sorry, not up to me.  It's part of the SRFI.  FWIW there might be some
discussion of the rationale in the SRFI debate archive.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: Adding srfi-30 comments.
@ 2002-09-03 22:28       ` Maciej Stachowiak
From: Maciej Stachowiak @ 2002-09-03 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Rob Browning, Marius Vollmer, guile-devel

On 03Sep2002 11:34AM (-0700), Bruce Korb wrote:
> Rob Browning wrote:
>
> >   - #| comments can be nested
>
> No, please.  Nested comments in C were removed for good
> reason.  It's too confusing.  Editors are very good at
> commenting out blocks of text, no need to muddy syntax
> with another flavor of parenthesis.

The fact that C does not support nested comments leads to the
near-universal recommendation of using #if 0 ... #endif, which does
nest, to comment large blocks of code. I don't think this reduces
confusion at all.

 - Maciej