* Testing third-party applications with 1.9
@ 2009-09-21 13:10 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-09-21 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello Guilers!

Thanks to Eelco Dolstra of NixOS, the NixOS build farm now builds
several Guile-using applications against 1.9.3:

  http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/nixpkgs/guile2test

The goal is to identify the main compatibility issues and try to fix
them before 2.0 is released.

Currently broken:

  beast drgeo elinks guileLib guileLint lilypond mailutils mcron snd
  trackballs

In several cases the problem seems to come from the fact that
‘guile-config’ assumes ‘pkg-config’ is in $PATH, which is not
necessarily the case here.  I’ll look into fixing it.

I’ll look into adding more packages, such as TeXmacs.  If you have
ideas, please tell me.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Testing third-party applications with 1.9
@ 2009-09-21 13:25 ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2009-09-21 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-devel

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 15:10 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guilers!
>
> Thanks to Eelco Dolstra of NixOS, the NixOS build farm now builds
> several Guile-using applications against 1.9.3:
>
>   http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/nixpkgs/guile2test
>
> The goal is to identify the main compatibility issues and try to fix
> them before 2.0 is released.

Sweet

> I’ll look into adding more packages, such as TeXmacs.  If you have
> ideas, please tell me.

I think a couple of other important programs are Gnucash and SWIG
(Gnucash uses SWIG as its Guile wrapper), Autogen (which is used by
GCC), and GNU Robots.

Thanks,

Mike

* Re: Testing third-party applications with 1.9
@ 2009-10-01 22:01   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-10-01 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi!

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 15:10 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>>   http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/nixpkgs/guile2test

[...]

> I think a couple of other important programs are Gnucash and SWIG
> (Gnucash uses SWIG as its Guile wrapper), Autogen (which is used by
> GCC), and GNU Robots.

I added SWIG, SLIB, GnuCash, and AutoGen to the mix.  GnuCash 2.2.9 and
AutoGen 5.9.8 fail at configure-time because they try to use
<guile/gh.h>.

GnuCash and AutoGen maintainers: if you read this, please upgrade from
GH, which was deprecated in 2001.  :-)

In related news, I had to modify the GnuTLS bindings to work with 1.9.3:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnutls.git;a=commitdiff;h=b595d1625e13a1836df6504ee1bafe1ef067726f;hp=cf61dc7006b8789951b058573ae1f824b264bd96

The removal of the port finalizer is the important part of this patch as
it would sometimes segfault with 1.9.3.  It relied on the (unspecified)
finalization ordering of Guile’s GC, which happens to be different with
libgc, hence the segfault.  That finalizer is no longer needed, so that
was easily fixed.

Guile-Avahi worked fine unmodified with 1.9.3.

I guess the real test GC-wise will be Guile-GNOME.

Thanks,
Ludo’.