* Licensing of Guile code loaded by libguile.so
@ 2024-06-13  5:49 Felix Lechner via Developers list for Guile, the GNU extensibility library
From: Felix Lechner via Developers list for Guile, the GNU extensibility library @ 2024-06-13  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi,

I would like to release some code under the GPL.  libguile.so calls it
from C.  The setup is similar to the code in the Tortoise tutorial. [1]

Guile is licensed under the LGPL, so it is possible for proprietary
programs to use libguile.so.  I would now like to ensure that those
proprietary programs may also legally run my code..

May I publish my project under the GPL, or should I also choose the LGPL
like Guile?

I am in contact with the licensing folks at FSF, but hope to collect
some input here, as well.

The technical question is, I think, whether libguile executes Guile code
in a manner that is considered being "run" or being "linked."  The
answer could potentially be different for compiled or uncompiled code.

In other words, does libguile.so run code by calling the Guile
interpreter via an exec system call, or does the library run the Guile
code directly in the same, potentially proprietary, process?

Thanks!

Kind regards
Felix

P.S. I'm not subscribed to your list; please copy me on your replies.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/guile-tut/tutorial.html