* G-Wrap 1.9.13 released
@ 2009-10-28  1:37 Andreas Rottmann
From: Andreas Rottmann @ 2009-10-28  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile Developers, Guile Users, guile-gtk discussions

Hi!

I am pleased to announce the release of G-Wrap 1.9.13. The release is
available from

          http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/g-wrap/

The sha1 checksums of the files are:

f71d3324574f3213d53240b4d831c864b592db49  g-wrap-1.9.13.tar.gz
0f367a43c256821f7a5616ebd5d89839eebc1637  g-wrap-1.9.13.tar.gz.sig

G-Wrap is a tool (and Guile library) for generating function wrappers
for inter-language calls. It currently only supports generating Guile
wrappers for C functions.

Changes since 1.9.12 (excerpt from NEWS):

    - Fix the dependency declaration on libffi in the g-wrap-2.0-guile
      pkg-config file.

    - An alignment issue leading to testsuite failures on sparc has
      been fixed.

    - The g-wrap-config manpage from the Debian package is now
      included in the source, and installed.

On a related note, the G-Wrap website has been given a fresh look, and
I've migrated the G-Wrap bzr repository to git, see

          http://www.nongnu.org/g-wrap/development.html

Enjoy!

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann -- <http://rotty.yi.org/>

* Re: G-Wrap 1.9.13 released
@ 2009-10-28 20:30 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2009-10-28 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Rottmann; +Cc: Guile Developers

Hi Andreas,

On Wed 28 Oct 2009 02:37, Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann@gmx.at> writes:

> I am pleased to announce the release of G-Wrap 1.9.13

Great!

On a related, but unrelated note: I know you have some experience with
Scheme FFIs. I don't, and Guile needs one. Do you have any pointers?
Would you like to make a design? Or some code even? :-))

/me is a scheming Schemer :)

Andy

--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: G-Wrap 1.9.13 released
@ 2009-10-29  0:59   ` Andreas Rottmann
From: Andreas Rottmann @ 2009-10-29  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: marco.maggi-ipsu, Guile Developers

[CC'ing Marco, as this might very well be of interest to him]

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

> On a related, but unrelated note: I know you have some experience with
> Scheme FFIs. I don't, and Guile needs one. Do you have any pointers?
> Would you like to make a design?

It just happens that Marco Maggi and me have agreed to unify our FFI
implementations in the near future; I have `(spells foreign)'[0], and he
has an FFI in his nausicaa library collection[1].

I hope (and kind of expect, even :-)), that the result of this effort
will be a low-level FFI in the spirit of CL's CFFI-SYS[2], with some
documentation, and working on Ikarus, Ypsilon, Larceny, Mosh and PLT
Scheme. This layer will be rather minimimal, and not very nice for doing
hand-written glue code in, but it will suffice nicely to support
sbank[3], for example. It should provide all primitives to build more
sophisticated FFI layers on top of it.

> Or some code even? :-))

I think when we have some documentation out there, it should be
relatively straightforward to do an implementaton for Guile -- I could
very well imagine I will be tempted at some point to rip the guts out of
G-Wrap, and use them to build an implementation for Guile, just for the
heck of it :-). We'll see -- the above-mentioned unification hasn't
really begun yet, but I expect that there will be something to show by
the start of next year or so.

[0] http://github.com/rotty/spells/blob/master/spells/foreign.sls
[1] http://github.com/marcomaggi/nausicaa/blob/master/scheme/src/libraries/foreign/ffi.sls
[2] http://common-lisp.net/project/cffi/spec/cffi-sys-spec.html