* memory leak
@ 2011-10-23 17:11 Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2011-10-23 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Regarding the observed leaks in guile. A question is if this is due to some
kind of memory fragmentation more then
a pure memory leak. In the observed bug where in constructing and droping
threads, one can see that memory leaks dramatically
and 2Gig is consumed after about 2000 constructed threads. If one issue a
direct call to scm_gc att the allocation of the stack
the problem becomes much less dramatic. It looks like gc is run to free a
certain amount of memory but not taking care of the alignmnent
so that the collection phase lead to the right amount but due to
fragmentation the memory is not contiguous. Hence more memory is
allocated and the system seams to go into a state of keeping freeable memory
and allocating new memory in about the same speed.

I would try to do an experiment where one allocates the stack with
scm_malloc and free it with free and attach mark and finilizing functions
to see if the problem disapears.

How to do such a test?

Any suggestion?

Regards

* Re: memory leak
@ 2011-10-31 12:59 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2011-10-31 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Israelsson Tampe <stefan.itampe@gmail.com> skribis:

> Regarding the observed leaks in guile. A question is if this is due to some
> kind of memory fragmentation more then
> a pure memory leak. In the observed bug where in constructing and droping
> threads, one can see that memory leaks dramatically
> and 2Gig is consumed after about 2000 constructed threads. If one issue a
> direct call to scm_gc att the allocation of the stack
> the problem becomes much less dramatic.

Can you post a simple program that reproduces this?

Thanks,
Ludo’.