* Purpose of guile-xxx executables?
@ 2002-09-12 21:12 Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2002-09-12 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the last release of my guile-xlib package, I included a guile-xlib
executable that was identical to vanilla Guile except that it was
linked with my library and called scm_register_module_xxx(...) just
before scm_shell.

For the next release, I've changed to using dynamic-link and
dynamic-call, so the scm_register_module_xxx goes away.  Given this,
is there any point anymore in building the guile-xlib executable?

Two possibilities occur:

- building an executable allows me to check that my library doesn't
  contain any unresolved externals

- something to do with platforms that only perform static linking.

However, it seems to me that, on both these points, we should instead
have some more generic tool that allows the building of a custom Guile
with, in general, several libraries statically prelinked in,
e.g. Guile + libguilexlib + libguilegtk + libguilepg.

Is this correct?  If so, how should it work in detail?

        Neil

* Re: Purpose of guile-xxx executables?
@ 2002-09-12 21:48 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-09-12 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> For the next release, I've changed to using dynamic-link and
> dynamic-call, so the scm_register_module_xxx goes away.  Given this,
> is there any point anymore in building the guile-xlib executable?

I don't think so.  We removed the guile-gtk executable from guile-gtk
for the same reasons.  I think it is OK to assume that dynamic-linking
just works.

> - building an executable allows me to check that my library doesn't
>   contain any unresolved externals

Yep, I have a mostly empty check_PROGRAM in guile-gtk for just this
reason.

> - something to do with platforms that only perform static linking.

> e.g. Guile + libguilexlib + libguilegtk + libguilepg.
>
> Is this correct?  If so, how should it work in detail?

Can't libtool help here, too?  If libtool can't rescue us, I'd say
it's mostly a SMOD (small matter of documentation).  People need to
gather the right libraries and build a small main program.  Getting
this right automatically might be more trouble than doing it by hand.
I would prefer to wait until someone really has a need to such
automation.

* Re: Purpose of guile-xxx executables?
@ 2002-09-12 22:26 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-09-12 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> - something to do with platforms that only perform static linking.

I believe libtool solves this problem for you as long as you use it
properly (you'll have to see the docs, since I forget what "properly"
means).  Libtool is supposed to arrange it so that on platforms
without shared libs, lt_dlopen/lt_dlsym, etc. still work.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu